View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #31
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
<CoH ...
The death of Beleg {NA-EX-42 <Lay Beleg>}
Beleg sought among the dead for Túrin, to bury him; but he could not discover his body. He knew then that Húrin’s son was still alive, and taken to Angband; but he remained perforce in {Bar-en-Danwedh}[Bar-en-Danweð] until his wounds were healed.> NA-TI-21b <Sil77 Now Beleg was sorely wounded, but he was mighty among the Elves of Middle-earth, and he was moreover a master of healing. Therefore he did not die, and slowly his strength returned; and {he sought in vain among the dead for Túrin, to bury him. But he found him not; and then he knew that Húrin's son was yet alive, and taken to Angband}. NA-EX-42.1 <Aelfwine & Dírhaval A And in this way also Andróg {who was in the outlaw-band of Túrin, and} alone[ of the outlaw-band of Túrin] survived the battle on the summit of {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð].> Then with{With} little hope Beleg departed from {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð] and set out northward, towards the Crossings of {Teiglin}[Taeglin]{, following in the track of the Orcs; and he crossed over the Brithiach and journeyed through Dimbar towards the Pass of Anach. And now he was not far behind them, for he went without sleeping, whereas they had tarried on their road, hunting in the lands and fearing no pursuit as they came northward; and not even in the dreadful woods of Taur-nu-Fuin did he swerve from the trail, for the skill of Beleg was greater than any that have been in Middle-earth}.>NA-EX-43b <editorial bridge And of this in the Narn it is told:
><Lay NA-EX-44{he}He fared to the forest{. __ No}; __ no fellows sought he {735}
in his hopeless hazard, __ but in haste alone
he followed the feet __ of the foes of Elfland,
the dread daring, __ and the dire anguish,
that held the hearts __ of Hithlum's men 5
and Doriath's doughtiest __ in a dream of fear. {740}
and the light was lost __ in lands unknown.>
NA-EX-44.1 <CoH He{ set out then with little hope to try to find the trail of the Orcs, and he} came upon their tracks near the Crossing of {Teiglin}[Taeglin]. There they divided, some passing along the eaves of the Forest of Brethil towards the Ford of Brithiach, while others turned away westwards; and it seemed plain to Beleg that he must follow those that went direct with greatest speed to Angband, making for the Pass of Anach. Therefore he journeyed on through Dimbar, and up to the Pass of Anach in Ered Gorgoroth, the Mountains of Terror, and so to the highlands of Taur-nu-Fuin, the Forest under Night, aregion of dread and dark enchantment, of wandering and despair{.} NA-EX-44.2 <editorial bridge , of which in the Lay it is told:
><Lay Never-dawning night __ was netted clinging
in the black branches __ of the beetling trees;
and learnt his lineage __ and luckless fate{,}.>
NA-TI-22 <Sil77 Grieving Beleg looked upon him; for Gwindor was now but a bent and {fearful} NA-EX-44.3 <CoH timid> shadow of his former shape and mood, when in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad that lord of Nargothrond rode with rash courage to the very doors of Angband, and there was taken. For few of the Noldor whom Morgoth captured were put to death, because of their skill in forging and in mining for metals and gems; and Gwindor was not slain, but put to labour in the mines of the North. <CoH These Noldor possessed many of the Fëanorian lamps, which were crystals hung in a fine chain net, the crystal being ever-shining with an inner blue radiance marvellous for finding the way in the darkness of night or in tunnels; of these lamos they themselves did not know the secret. Many of the mining Elves thus escaped from the darkness of the mines, for they were able to bore they way out> {By}by secret tunnels known only to themselves{ the mining Elves might sometimes escape; and thus it came to pass that Beleg found him, spent and bewildered in the mazes of Taur-nu-Fuin}.><CoH {; but} But Gwindor received a small sword from one who worked in the forges, and when working in a stone-gang turned suddenly on the guards, He escaped, but with one hand cut off; and now he lay exhausted under the great pines of Taur-nu-Fuin. NA-EX-45 <editorial bridge And in the Lay it is told of Gwindor:
><Lay A tale he unfolded __ of terrible flight
o'er flaming fell __ and fuming hollow, {825}
they laughing led me, __ my lagging footsteps 25
with their spears speeding.>
NA-EX-45.1 <CoH From Gwindor Beleg learned that the small company of Orcs ahead of them, from whom he had hidden, had no captives, and were going with speed: an advace guard, perhaps, bearing report to Angband. At this Beleg despaired: for he guessed, that the tracks that he had seen turning away westward after the Crossings of {Teiglin}[Taeglin] were thos of a greater host, who had in orc-fashion gone marauding in the lands seeking food and plunder, and might now be returning to Angband by way of ‘the Narrow Land’, the long defile of Sirion, much further to the west. If this were so, his sole hope lay in returning to the Ford of Brithiach, and then going north to Tol Sirion. But scarcely had he determind on this {than they heard the noise of a great host approaching through the forest from the south;}> NA-EX-45.2 <editorial bridge ; when
><Lay
{ __ Their spoils were piled,
he defies fearless, __ on a fangéd peak
of thunder-riven __ Thangorodrim.'

In}in eager anger __ then up sprang Beleg,
crying and calling, __ careless of NA-RG-04 {Flinding}[Gwindor]:
'O Túrin, Túrin, __ my troth-brother, {870}
to the brazen bonds __ shall I abandon thee,
and the darkling doors __ of the Deeps of Hell?' 5
in despair fettered __ with spirit empty
in mourning hopeless __ he remained behind.
{Failivrin}[Faelivrin]
NA-RG-31 {Flinding go-Fuilin __ }[Gwindor] the faithful{-hearted}, __ Guilin’s son
the brand of Beleg __ with blood stainéd {1340}190
That song he sang __ is since remembered,
by NA-RG-54 {Gnomes}[Noldor] renewed __ in Nargothrond 505
it widely has wakened __ warfain armies
to battle with Bauglir - __ NA-EX-47.6 <CoH '{The Bowman's Friendship}Laer Cú Beleg'. {1665}

'Tis told that Túrin __ then turned him back
and fared to NA-RG-55 {Flinding}[Gwindor], __ and flung him down
to sleep soundless __ till the sun mounted 510
to the high heavens __ and hasted westward.
and yet love in longing, __ and love calls me.'> 560
NA-TI-24 <Sil77 And Gwindor gave the sword Anglachel into {his}Túrins hands, and Túrin knew that it was heavy and strong and had great power; ...
'That I do believe,' said Túrin.>
NA-EX-48b <CoH And now they arose, and departing from Eithel Ivrin they journeyed southward along the banks of Narog{, until they were taken by scouts of the Elves and brought as prisoners to the hidden stronghold}.
Thus did Túrin come to Nargothrond{.}:
> {<editorial bridge Of their southward journey the Lay tells:>}
<Lay Where Narog's torrent __ gnashed and spouted
Doors there darkly __ dim gigantic
were hewn in the hillside; __ huge their timbers,
and their posts and lintels __ of ponderous stone. {1830}
NA-EX-48.1 <CoH Túrin in Nargothrond>
They were shut unshakeable. __ Then shrilled a trumpet 105
as a phantom fanfare __ faintly winding
most noble of name, __ renowed in valour.>
NA-TI-25 <Sil77 {For Gwindor’s} NA-EX-48.2 <CoH Thus Gwindor came home, and for his> sake Túrin was admitted with him into Nargothrond{, and he dwelt there in honour}<CoH for Gwindor said that he was a valiant man, dear friend of Beleg Cúthalion of Doriath.>. But when Gwindor would tell his name, Túrin checked him, saying: 'I am Agarwaen the son of Úmarth (which is the Bloodstained, son of Ill-fate), a hunter in the woods.'{; and the Elves of Nargothrond} <CoH But though the Elves guessed that he took these names because of the slaying of his friend (not knowing other reasons), they> questioned him no more.> NA-EX-50b <Ap Narn And Túrin would not wear the Helm/ of Hador/ again {"}lest it reveal him{"}.}>> NA-EX-49 <editorial bridge And the Lay tells of the feast at Gwindor’s return:
><Lay In those halls in the hills __ at that homecoming
neath trees enchanted;}of former deeds; __ then faltered his tongue{ faltered
and his tale was stilled}.>
NA-EX-50.1 <Lay Many bosoms burdened __ with foreboding vague
their glooms disowned __ neath glad laughter.
In song and silence, __ snow and tempest,
No ambush stayed them; __ the archers yielded {2275}
each vale by vale{, __ though venomed arrows}.>
NA-TI-26 <Sil77 {In the time that followed Túrin grew high in favour with Orodreth, and well-nigh all hearts were turned to him in Nargothrond. For he was young, and only now reached his full manhood; and he was in truth the son of Morwen Eledhwen to look upon: dark-haired and pale-skinned, with grey eyes, and his face more beautiful than any other among mortal Men, in the Elder Days. His speech and bearing were that of the ancient kingdom of Doriath, and even among the Elves he might be taken for one from the great houses of the Noldor; therefore many called him Adanedhel, the Elf-Man. The}In that time the sword Anglachel was forged anew for {him}Túrin by cunning smiths of Nargothrond, and though ever black its edges shone with pale fire{; and he named it Gurthang, Iron of Death. So great was his prowess and skill in warfare on the confines of the Guarded Plain that he}<CoH . Then Túrin> himself became known as Mormegil, the Black Sword{; and the Elves said: 'The Mormegil cannot be slain, save by mischance, or an evil arrow from afar.' Therefore they gave him dwarf-mail, to guard him; and in a grim mood he found also in the armouries a dwarf-mask all gilded, and he put it on before battle, and his enemies fled before his face. NA-EX-50 <Ap Narn For Túrin would not wear the Helm again {"}lest it reveal him{"}.}><CoH for the rumor of his deeds with that weapon; but he named the sword Gurthang, Iron of Death.
Because of his powers and his skill in warfare with Orcs Túrin found favour with Orodreth, and was admitted to his council. Now Túrin had no liking for the manner of fighting of the Elves of Nargothrond, of ambush and stealth andsecret arrow, and hr urged that it be abandoned, and that they should use their strength to attack the servants of the Enemy, to open battle and pursuit.> NA-EX-51 <Ap Narn Gwindor spoke ever against Túrin <CoH in this matter> in the council of the King, saying that he had been in Angband, and knew somewhat of the might of Morgoth, and <CoH had had a glimps of the power of Morgoth, and had some inkling>of his designs. ‘Petty victories will prove profitless at the last,’ he said; ‘for thus Morgoth learns where the boldest of his enemies are to be found, and gathers strength great enough to destroy them. All the might of the Elves and the Edain united sufficed only to contain him, and to gain the peace of a siege; long indeed, but only so long as Morgoth bided his time before he broke the leaguer; and never again can such a union be made. {In}<CoH Only in> secrecy{ only} lies{ now any} hope<CoH of survival>; until the Valar come.’
‘The Valar!’ said Túrin. ‘They have forsaken you, and they hold Men in scorn. What use to look westward across the endless Sea<CoH to a dying sunset in the West>? There is but one Vala with whom we have to do, and that is Morgoth; and if in the end we cannot overcome him, at the least we can hurt him and hinder him. For victory is victory, however small, nor is its worth only in what follows from it. But it is expedient also<CoH . Secrecy is not finally possible: arms are the only wall against Morgoth. If >{; for if} you do nothing to halt him, all Beleriand will fall beneath his shadow before many years are passed, ...
‘But they suffered greater woe than if that field had not been fought,’ said Gwindor.>
NA-EX-51.1 <CoH
But Túrin advanced greatly in the favour of Orodreth, and he became the chief counsellor of the King, who submitted all things to his advice{.}> NA-TI-29b <Sil77 {When it became known to Orodreth that the Mormegil was in truth the son of Húrin Thalion he gave him great honour, and Túrin became mighty among the people of Nargothrond. But he had no liking for their manner of warfare, of ambush and stealth and secret arrow, and he yearned for brave strokes and battle in the open}; and his counsels weighed with the King ever the longer the more.
In those days the Elves of Nargothrond forsook their secrecy and went openly to battle, and great store of weapons were made; and by the counsel of Túrin the Noldor built a mighty bridge over the Narog from the Doors of Felagund, for the swifter passage of their arms<CoH , since war was now chiefly east of Narog in the Guarded Plain.>. Then the servants of Angband were driven out of all the land between Narog and Sirion eastward, and westward to the Nenning and the desolate Falas; <CoH {As}as its north march Nargothrond now held the ‘Debatable Land’ about the sources od Ginglith and Narog, and the fringes of the Woods of Núath. Between Nenning and Narog no Orc came; and east of Narog their realm went to the {Teiglin}[Taeglin] and the borders of the Moors of the Nibin-noeg.> {and though }Gwindor{ spoke ever against Túrin in the council of the King, holding it an ill policy, he} fell into dishonour{ and none heeded him}, for {his strength was small and }he was no longer forward in arms. Thus Nargothrond was revealed to the wrath and hatred of Morgoth; but still at Túrin's prayer his true name was not spoken, and though the fame of his deeds came into Doriath and to the ears of Thingol, rumour spoke only of the Black Sword of Nargothrond{.} NA-EX-51.2 <CoH , and his strength was small; and the pain of his maimed left arm was often upon him. But Túrin was young, and only now reached his full manhood; and he was in truth the son of Morwen {Eledhwen}[Eleðwen] to look upon: dark-haired and pale-skinned, with grey eyes, and his face more beautiful than any other among mortal Men, in the Elder Days. His speech and bearing were those of the ancient kingdom of Doriath, and even among the Elves he might be taken for one from the great houses of the Noldor. So valiant was Túrin, and so exceedingly skilled in arms, especially with sword and shield, that the Elves said that he could not be slain, save by mischance, or an evil arrow from afar. Therefore they gave him dwarf-mail, to guard him; and in a grim mood he found also in the armouries a dwarf-mask all gilded, and he put it on before battle, and his enemies fled before his face.
Now that he had his ways, and all went well, and he had work to do after his heart, and had honour in it, he was courteous to all, and less grim than of old, so that well nigh all hearts were turned to him; and many called him {Adanedhel}[Adaneðel], the Elf-Man. But most of all Finduilas the daughter of Orodreth found her heart moved whenever he came near, or was in hall.>
NA-EX-52 <Lay __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ At Túrin's {sorrow}[fortune]
one marvelled and was moved, __ a maiden fair
by no moon nor sun, __ down mazy ways
to the black abysmal __ brink of waking.>
NA-EX-53 <Ap Narn Finduilas the daughter of Orodreth was golden-haired ...
‘Perhaps,’ said Finduilas. ‘It shall stand, if you can achieve it. But have a care, NA-EX-53.6 <CoH {Adanedhel}Thurin>; my heart is heavy when you go out to battle, lest Nargothrond be bereaved.’
But Túrin did not understand these words, and did but guess that Gwindor begrudged him his place in the heart and counsels of the King.>

NA-TI-27 <Sil77 Then the heart of Finduilas was turned from Gwindor and against her will her love was given to Túrin; but Túrin did not perceive what had befallen. And being torn in heart Finduilas became sorrowful; and she grew wan and silent. But Gwindor sat in dark thought NA-EX-53.7 <CoH , and he cursed Morgoth who could thus pursue his enemies with woe, withersoever they might run. ‘And now at last,’ he said, ‘I believe the rumour of Angband that Morgoth has cursed Húrin and all his kin.’ And going to Finduials he said to her: ‘A sadness and doubt is upon you; and too often now I miss you, and begin to guess that you are avoiding me. Since you tell me not the cause, I must guess. >{; and on a time he spoke to Finduilas, saying: '}Daughter of the house of Finarfin, let no grief lie between us; for though Morgoth has laid my life in ruin, you still I love. {Go}<CoH But go> whither love leads you;<CoH for I have become unfit to wed you; and neither my prowess nor my counsel have any honour more.’
Then Finduilas wept. ‘Weep not yet!’ said Gwindor. ‘But beware lest you have cause. Not fitting is it>{ yet beware! It is not fitting} that the Elder Children of Ilúvatar should wed with the Younger; nor is it wise, for they are brief, and soon pass, to leave us in widowhood while the world lasts. Neither will fate suffer it, unless it be once or twice only, for some high cause of doom that we do not perceive.
‘But this Man is not Beren <CoH , even if he be both as fair and as brave>.A doom indeed lies on him, as seeing eyes may well read in him, but a dark doom. Enter not into it! And if you will, your love shall betray you to bitterness and death. For hearken to me! Though he be indeed agarwaen son of úmarth, his right name is Túrin son of Húrin, whom Morgoth holds in Angband, and whose kin he has cursed. Doubt not the power of Morgoth Bauglir! Is it not written in me?'
Then Finduilas sat long in thought; but at the last she said only: 'Túrin son of Húrin loves me not; nor will.'>
NA-EX-53.8 <CoH Then {Finduials}she rose, and quennly indeed she looked.> NA-EX-54 <Ap Narn ‘Your eyes are dimmed, Gwindor,’ she said. ‘You do not see or understand what is here come to pass. ...
‘Túrin son of Húrin Thalion, captain of the North.’>

NA-TI-28 <Sil77 Now when Túrin learnt from Finduilas of what had passed, he was wrathful, and he said to Gwindor: 'In love I hold you for rescue and safe-keeping. But now you have done ill to me, friend, to betray my right name, and call my doom upon me, from which I would lie hid.'
But Gwindor answered: 'The doom lies in yourself, not in your name.'
NA-EX-55b <editorial bridge And of Túrins Sorrows at this time it is told in the Lay:
><Lay From woe unhealed __ the wounded heart
of Túrin the tall __ was turned to her.
the glory of her eyes __ that gleamed with fires
of secret thought __ in silent deeps.{ 2260

Many bosoms burdened __ with foreboding vague
their glooms disowned __ neath glad laughter. 50
In song and silence, __ snow and tempest,
winter wore away; __ to the world there came
a year once more __ in youth unstained, {2265}
nor were leaves less green, __ light less golden,
the flowers less fair, __ though in faded hearts 55
no spring was born, __ though speeding nigh
danger and dread __ and doom's footsteps
to their halls hasted. __ Of the host of iron {2270}
came tale and tidings __ ever treading nearer;
Orcs unnumbered __ to the East of Narog 60
roamed and ravened __ on the realm's borders,
the might of Morgoth __ was moved abroad.
No ambush stayed them; __ the archers yielded {2275}
each vale by vale{, __ though venomed arrows}.}>
NA-TI-29b <Sil77 {When it became known to Orodreth that the Mormegil was in truth the son of Húrin Thalion he gave him great honour, and Túrin became mighty among the people of Nargothrond. But he had no liking for their manner of warfare, of ambush and stealth and secret arrow, and he yearned for brave strokes and battle in the open; and his counsels weighed with the King ever the longer the more.
In those days the Elves of Nargothrond forsook their secrecy and went openly to battle, and great store of weapons were made; and by the counsel of Túrin the Noldor built a mighty bridge over the Narog from the Doors of Felagund, for the swifter passage of their arms. Then the servants of Angband were driven out of all the land between Narog and Sirion eastward, and westward to the Nenning and the desolate Falas; and though Gwindor spoke ever against Túrin in the council of the King, holding it an ill policy, he fell into dishonour and none heeded him, for his strength was small and he was no longer forward in arms. Thus Nargothrond was revealed to the wrath and hatred of Morgoth; but still at Túrin's prayer his true name was not spoken, and though the fame of his deeds came into Doriath and to the ears of Thingol, rumour spoke only of the Black Sword of Nargothrond.
}* * *
In that time of respite and hope, when because of the deeds of the Mormegil the power of Morgoth was stemmed west of Sirion, NA-EX-55.1 <CoH and all the woods had peace, > Morwen fled at last from Dor-lómin with Niënor her daughter, and adventured the long journey to Thingol's halls. There new grief awaited her, for she found Túrin gone, and to Doriath there had come no tidings since the Dragon-helm had vanished from the lands west of Sirion; but Morwen remained in Doriath with Niënor as guests of Thingol and Melian, and were treated with honour.
NA-EX-55.2 <CoH The Fall of Nargothrond>
Now it came to pass, when four hundred and ninety-five years had passed since the rising of the Moon, in the spring of the year, ...
And when Orodreth came, Gelmir said to him: ‘Lord, we were of Angrod's people, and we have wandered far since the Dagor BragollachNA-EX-56.6 {<CoH Nirnaeth>}; but of late we have dwelt among Círdan's following by the Mouths of Sirion. ...
Then Arminas said: ‘<CoH Yes. Lord. Ever>{Lord, ever} since the Nirnaeth I have sought for the hidden kingdom of Turgon, ...
‘Other it has ever been,’ answered Túrin. ‘And if, as it seems, I must bear the hate of Morgoth because of the valour of my father shall I also endure the taunts and ill-boding of a runagate <CoH from war>, though he claim the kinship of kings? {I counsel you: get}<CoH Get> you back to the safe shores of the Sea!’
For so much at least of the words of Ulmo were read aright.>

NA-TI-30 <Sil77 Soon {afterwards}NA-EX-56.7 <CoH after the depature of the messengers> Handir Lord of Brethil was slain, for the Orcs invaded his land, <CoH seeking to secure the Crossings of {Teiglin}[Taeglin] for their further advance.> {and} Handir gave them battle, but the Men of Brethil were worsted, and driven back into their woods. <CoH The Orcs did not pursue them, for they had achieved their purpose for that time; and they continued to muster their strength in the Pass of Sirion.
In>{And in} the autumn of the year, biding his hour, Morgoth loosed upon the people of Narog the great host that he had long prepared; and Glaurung the {Úrulóki}NA-EX-56.8 <CoH the Father of Dragons> passed over Anfauglith, and came thence into the north vales of Sirion and there did great evil. Under the shadows of Ered Wethrin <CoH , leading a great army of Orcs in his train,> he defiled the Eithel Ivrin, and thence he passed into the realm of Nargothrond, {and burned}<CoH burning> the Talath Dirnen, the Guarded Plain, between Narog and {Teiglin}[Taeglin].
Then the warriors of Nargothrond went forth, and tall and terrible on that day looked Túrin, and the heart of the host was upheld, as he rode on the right hand of Orodreth. NA-EX-57 <GA Túrin in the battle wore the Dragon-helm.> But greater far was the host of Morgoth than any scouts had told, NA-EX-57.1 <LT an army of Orcs {descended upon them}, and wolves, and Orcs mounted upon wolves;> and none but Túrin defended by {his dwarf-mask}[the Dragon-helm] could withstand the approach of Glaurung{; and the}<CoH .
The> Elves were driven back and {pressed by the Orcs into}<CoH defeated on> the field of Tumhalad, between Ginglith and Narog, and there they were penned. On that day all the pride and host of Nargothrond withered away{; and}. Orodreth <CoH the king >was slain in the forefront of the battle, ...
Then Túrin sped back to Nargothrond, mustering such of the rout as he met with on the way; and the leaves fell from the trees in a great wind as they went, for the autumn was passing to a dire winter. But NA-EX-57.6 <CoH Glaurung an his>{the} host of the Orcs{ and Glaurung the Dragon} were there before him, and they came suddenly, ere those that were left on guard were aware of what had befallen on the field of Tumhalad. In that day the bridge over Narog proved an evil; for it was great and mightily made and could not swiftly be destroyed, and <CoH thus> the enemy came readily over the deep river, and Glaurung came in full fire against the Doors of Felagund, and overthrew them, and passed within.
And even as Túrin came up the {dreadful}<CoH ghastly> sack of Nargothrond was well-nigh achieved. The Orcs had slain or driven off all that remained in arms, and were even then ransacking the great halls and chambers, plundering and destroying; but those of the women and maidens that were not burned or slain they had herded on the {terraces}<CoH terrace> before the doors, as slaves to be taken {into Morgoth's thraldom}<CoH to Angband>. Upon this ruin and woe Túrin came, and none could withstand him; or would not, though he struck down all before him, and passed over the bridge, and hewed his way towards the captives.
And now he stood alone, for the few that followed him had fled <CoH into hiding>. But in that moment Glaurung issued from the gaping {doors}<CoH Doors of Felagund>, and lay behind, between Túrin and the bridge. Then suddenly he spoke, by the evil spirit that was in him, saying: 'Hail, son of Húrin. Well met!'
Then Túrin sprang about, and strode against him, <CoH and fire was in his eyes, >and the edges of Gurthang shone as with flame{; but}<CoH . But> Glaurung withheld his blast, and opened wide his serpent-eyes and gazed upon Túrin. And NA-EX-58 <Ap Narn {and} Glaurung, desiring to rid Túrin of its aid and protection (since he himself feared it), taunted him, ...
... in pride and rashness he thrust up the visor and looked Glaurung in the eye> {Without fear Túrin looked into them as he raised up the sword}; and straightway he fell under the NA-EX-58.1 <CoH dreadful>{binding} spell of the lidless eyes of the dragon, and was {halted moveless.}<CoH as one turned to stone. Thus long they stood unmoving, silent before the great Doors of Felagund. Then> {Then for a long time he stood as one graven of stone; and they two were alone, silent before the doors of Nargothrond. But }Glaurung spoke again, taunting Túrin{, and he said}: 'Evil have been all thy ways, son of Húrin{.}<CoH ,’ said he. ‘>Thankless fosterling, ...
And while he was yet held by the eyes of {the dragon}<CoH Glaurung> in torment of mind, and could not stir, <CoH at a sign from the Dragon> the Orcs drove away the herded captives, and they passed nigh to Túrin and crossed over the bridge. Among them was Finduilas, and she {cried out to Túrin as she went; but}<CoH held out out her arms to Túrin, and called him by name. But> not until her cries and the wailing of the captives was lost ...
But Túrin drawing back his sword stabbed at {the dragon's}<CoH his> eyes; and Glaurung coiling back swiftly towered ...
... saying in a fell voice: 'Haste thee now, son of Húrin, to Dor-lómin! Or perhaps the Orcs shall come before thee, once again. And if thou tarry for Finduilas, then never shalt thou see Morwen {again, }and {never at all shalt thou see} Niënor {thy sister}<CoH again>; and they will curse thee.'
NA-EX-43b Why shouldn't we use the name Narn here?
NA-EX-44 This passages is not changed but that Beleg did not search for fellows means in the new context that he did not even ask Andróg to come with him.
NA-EX-44.1 and NA-EX-44.2 This interruption of the Lay is new, but the information provided here from CoH makes the further story more probable.
NA-EX-44.3 The passages about the lamp we did already know from the Appendix to Tour and his coming to Gondolin, but we had no idea were it belonged.
NA-EX-45.1 and NA-EX-45.2 Again a intruption of the Lay-material for reason of new informations from CoH.
NA-EX-45.2 Since the band that captured Gwwindor had no captives, I inserted the discription of them here.
Faelivrin: The chapter title does now no longer reffer to Finduilas but rather it means really the sun glittering on the pool of Eithel Narog.
NA-EX-47.6 I wanted to provide the elvish name.
NA-EX-48b CoH fit here well as an intor to the passage from the [b}Lay[/b].
NA-EX-48.1 The new sub-chapter headline is inserted were it is positioned in CoH.
NA-EX-48.2 small change of wording.
NA-EX-50b again the position of the insert is changed, for reasons of better fitting.
NA-EX-50.1 An other part of the Lay fitting the text nicely.
NA-EX-56.6 (The changes before are only small wording changes or some such.) It seems strange that an Elve from Dorthonion should say that he wandered since the Nirnaeth, or?
NA-EX-57.1 I searched for some stuff to add to the battle and this was all that came up.
The rest of the changes are small additions or details of wording.

No further changes are requiered in this section.

Respectfully
Findegil

Last edited by Findegil; 05-22-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote