View Single Post
Old 07-21-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

1. FG-TG-04

As Antoine says, this description of the armor was inserted earlier, in the transition section. The reasoning, as far as I can remember, is that in the Lost Tales version, Tuor is still dressed in bear skins and such when he reaches the gate. The armor is then later made for him. It makes sense, then, to remove the description of the armor here and put it in earlier, replacing the description of Tuor's primitive garb.

2. FG-M-09

Just to be completely clear - we're not talking about deleting these changes; it's just that these are general changes that don't seem to warrant a number.

3. FG-M-02

Quote:
In this one, I have deleted the {sons of the} Orcs part, it seems out of touch with the legendarium.
Hmmm. I don't see it as being out of touch with the legendarium. "Sons of Men" is commonly used simply to mean "Men". I don't see it as other than a sort of lively phrase. But if others agree that it's out of place, I'll consent.

4. FG-M-05

Quote:
I would rather use the Q77 instead of the Quenta. In the Quenta, there is no mention of the Fall of Doriath nor of Nargothrond.
The Quenta does mention the Ruin of Doriath - "the slaying of Dior, Thingol's heir". So it would only be mention of the fall of Nargothrond that we would gain from the 77.

5. FG-TG-03.5

I agree.

6. FG-TG-04.5

Quote:
I would hesitate to use the glowing feature on the axe of Tuor.
I agree. Though it's certainly possible that Dramborleg exhibits this feature just as do Glamdring, Orcrist, and Sting, we can't be certain.

I agree, however, about the substitution of the axe for the armor as the gift of Turgon.

Quote:
Hmmmmm. I rather we keep the original reference and eliminate the mention of the wings or say that Turgon gave to Tuor a gift of an axe and a helm.
But if Tuor already had a helm (from Turgon, if indirectly), why would Turgon give him a new one? And if he gave him a new helm, why not a whole new suit of armour? I think that the armour at Vinyamar ought to be thought of as replacing the armor made for Tuor in Gondolin. So I would delete the wings.

7. FG-TG-05.5

I still don't see a pressing need to change 'many' to 'seven', but I don't really object to it either.

8. FG-TG-01.5

This looks like a good idea.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote