View Single Post
Old 12-06-2002, 11:10 PM   #21
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

Quote:
As far as I know, volcanoes are not good for mining...a volcano does not yield any useful of precious rock but only cooled lava.
Tirinor, I remember reading in one of my high school science books that diamonds are often found in "lava pipes." I just did a tad of research to make sure I had not been imagining things:

Quote:
Diamonds were probably formed millions of years ago in molten lava. As the lava flowed to the Earth's surface through vents known as pipes, it cooled and solidified into kimberlite, a blue rock. Kimberlite contains the diamonds and is known to diamond miners as blue ground. ( source)
A diagram of these formations is here.

This example is solely for diamonds and also concerns their theoretical origins. Nevertheless, I believe it indicates that it would be possible for the Silmaril to resurface in an eruption of Erebor.

Gwaihir, this is a fascinating subject! My compliments for an excellent discussion. Can you tell me where on earth you live? It's not everyone who has volcanoes for neighbors! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Nuranar ]