View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #193
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Oh no Legate, you blew my cover before checking first to see if the participants wished to physically harm anyone behind the "false start"! According to Mnemo your slip has cost me my life.

Well, since I have little time left, I had better explain. The idea sprang forth suddenly out of a soil of Day 1 complaints- "I hate Day 1", "Day 1s are annoying", "Day 1 is a shot in the dark", "Day 1 is random", etc etc...

People often use completely different voting reasoning on Day 1. There have been no deaths or votes, and so it is rare that someone actually looks worthy of a Day 1 vote, particularly if you must vote early in the Day. And so it is logical to use criteria other than suspicion. There is, for instance, the infamous noob-pass that I and others extend to players that we have never played with. Additionally there is the died-early-last-time pass that a player is granted if he was an unfortunate early victim in the previous game. Some grant a noisy-player pass, figuring that leaving a loud player alive will make for a more talkative game, with the added bonus that due to his words you will form an opinion of him later, while the same cannot be said of "submarine" type players. And of course there are friend/roomate/relative passes that may be given out, or in fact work in reverse (e.g. it'd be easier to play this game without this individual that I'm around a lot looking over my shoulder).

I was thinking about these problems one day and it hit me- the answer was quite simple. If you don't wish for Day 1 random voting, Day 1 free passes, and Day 1 non suspicion based voting to impact the game, just don't have a Day 1! Duh. Skip to Day 2.

Well sure, but how? That's impossible. You technically have to have a Day 1. The game must have a starting day, right?

Solution- have a Day 1 without consequences.

Problem- but if people know that there are not consequences on Day 1, they will act out of character and there will be no reason for them to try and accomplish anything, and the day will simply be wasted and Day 2 will become Day 1.

Solution- have a Day 1 without consequences but don't warn anyone.

Now, naturally that would leave open the possibility of disaster (the Seer is about to be "lynched" on the fake Day 1 and reveals), so included in the PMs to the gifteds/WWs there must be a rule forbidding any sort of Day 1 reveal or hinting. But obviously you cannot reveal the true reason, so you must lie to them. Make up a reason. Tell them, perhaps, that you wish to see Day 1 truly be in the spirit of Day 1- a random lynch with no guidance or revealing. Any reason you tell them is fine, so long as they don't know the true reason.

Enter Legate. I saw that he was on the Mod list, and I thought he was the sort who would appreciate the thought behind the idea, be interested in the results such a stunt would yield, was bold enough to try something untested, and clever enough to pull it off. My thanks to you, sir, for breathing life into the dream.

And now in the interest of self preservation I am off to purchase a duck-gun.