View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathorn111 View Post
1. Why didn't Glorfindel join the company?
If I recall correctly, the decision had already been made by Elrond that Legolas would be the Fellowship's Elven representative, when they were trying to decide on the final two slots. Why him, and not Glorfindel? Well, maybe it was thought that Glorfindel, and the Noldor in general, had already had their time of glory in the First Age, and their time in Middle-earth was winding down. The Silvan Elves had traditionally been of little account in comparison, Legolas was there at Rivendell, and he was selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathorn111 View Post
2. What would have happened if he did? Would he just kick the a** of the Balrog and let Gandalf fly with the others?
Glorfindel might have "felt" the presence of the Balrog very early, leading to an alteration of the decision to enter Moria at all. Though he had been able to defeat one long before, I am sure he would not have relished the idea of another contest. Maybe the company would have kept trying Caradhras and frozen to death!
At any rate, I think it would have cheapened the story, and completely spoiled Gandalf's great sacrifice and subsequent return. How could Gandalf the Grey have defeated Saruman, or even healed Théoden as he did as the White? You could say that it was another instance of "fate" playing its part, and making conditions right for greater events to occur beyond a single Elf having another moment of glory.