View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #32
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarumian View Post
Gandlaf was not planning to play tennis with Rafa. ))) He was not supposed to be involved in a personal combat with Sauron.

What I would say - if the competition is not in playing tennis but in finding a needle on the court it could happen than a kid can be more efficient than Nadal. And if the quest is to recall all great champions of the past, n that case "a limp and near-sighted senior citizen" can be much better.
Heh, no they weren't playing tennis unfortunately, I bet Glorfy would kick Sauron's hiney on the centre court! Okay the metaphor was inept perhaps, but still, what exactly would Merry and Pippin be expected to contribute with, apart from bourgeois chit-chat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarumian
Yes, these guys were able to feel "the presence of the Force" Gandalf was actually extremely good at keeping low profile.
Mm much like WCH I think too much is made of this sensing the presence of, you know, po-wah. Sure, Gandalf and the Balrog could sense each other in Moria but only (as I remember it) when they had just a door between them and when they were using their magic in direct conflict.

Speaking of Elf lords and Sauron, there is the event when Felagund was captured. Together with Beren and his companions they traveled up the vale of Sirion hoping to get past Tol-in-Gaurhoth on their way to Angband. Sporting the gear of slain orcs and also the faces of them by courtesy of Felagund's magic they got quite far but Sauron grew suspicious and waylaid them when they did not stop to report their deeds as all servants of Morgoth were ordered to do. So here we have a great Elf-lord trying to sneak past Sauron and although he is caught it's by rather mundane means, not by Sauron 'sensing a disturbance in the force'. And Felagund's magic tricks seems to come very much in handy. I bet Glorfy could do some pretty nifty stuff too.