View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #28
mindil
Animated Skeleton

mindil has just left Hobbiton.
To the best of my knowledge, in real-world mythology, the sun is always male and the moon female. I don't know why Tolkien switched it, but in any case, sun-moon/female-male in Tolkien does not map onto sun-moon/male-female in anything he adopted from Greek, Roman, Christian, ancient, medieval or any other sources. You can play with it to work it out, but it's not a direct reference.

But now on to the sketch of Wickedness. It clearly has lots of eyes, but nothing else that you point to. The eyes don't even look wicked to me - they look kind and concerned. The sketch also has lots of other hidden pictures that you haven't mentioned. There are two hands with blunt fingers reaching up to the eyes - I think they are trying to help cover the eyes from seeing unpleasant things (from seeing wickedness?), but maybe they are trying to stroke the owners of those eyes to comfort them.

The right-hand arm under that hand has small fingers grasping it under its wrist - those fingers seem to be coming from a third, hidden hand. Maybe that third hand is supporting the right hand, or maybe it's trying to dislodge it from its task, or maybe it's holding onto that hand to support itself. Depending on my interpretation of Tolkien, I can argue whichever I please, but in any case, that hand is there doing something - I wonder why you didn't mention it?

The left arm has lots of little triangles in it. To me they look like smiling mouths. I'm sure they symbolize positivity. They must be related to Tolkien's belief in eucatastrophe as the ultimate outcome of everything, including any wickedness that might be associated with this sketch. But now, actually, those triangles look like articles of clothing. But we know that Tolkien was a prude, and he wouldn't have drawn those. So maybe they are smiles after all.

How about the circle on the right arm? Is it a nose? Maybe it's a heart, and it's on the right, because the male gives his heart to the female. Or it's on the left, looking out, because it's the heart that the female gives to the male? Since we aren't sure if right-left is to be judged looking toward the sketch or looking out of it, we have to leave both options open. But in any case, it's clearly a heart - except that there's a fainter circle below it. That wouldn't be the stomach. What else might Tolkien have drawn under a heart? Can't think of any acceptable bodily organ, so then what could the upper circle be? Perhaps an apple - like the one Eve gave Adam. Now we're back to Adam and Eve and Tolkien and Edith - struck gold! But that leaves the second circle undefined. There was only one apple in Eden, so the lower circle must be .... the snake! Curled up. That's how a circle becomes a snake. So there we are - all sorted.

Now Monks, how could you have missed all these very significant hidden pictures? And there are more, but really, you enjoy these things more than I do, so I'll leave you to find them yourself.

Last edited by mindil; 08-16-2020 at 10:38 AM. Reason: family friendliness
mindil is offline   Reply With Quote