View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 09:53 PM   #281
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Narello sat twiddling his thumbs by the fire. The day had passed with its many comings and goings and the small sandy-haired boy had been seemingly overlooked by the larger things of life. He longed to be outside again, under the stars and the trees. Awyrgan had been teaching him a bit of the tounges of wolves and he was itching to try some of the more interesting lines out on some of the local livestock.

And here I am stuck, Narello thought with a bit of anger. He quieted himself quickly; the people here had done nothing but aid him in any way they could think of. He glanced around to take in the familier and many new faces flickering in the firelight. Some of the Rangers he recognized from his brief travels with Awyrgan. Awyrgan would wish me to stay here in safety, and I am sure he has told those in charge to watch me. But I desire to be off. Awyrgan had been a better teacher than he had ment to, and had unfortunately instilled the aching to travel in the small boy.

Narello's eyes crept around the room waiting for the right moment to slide out the door when a quiet shout of command seemed to enter his mind from far away bidding him to stay. He started, for the voice (if it had been a voice) was much like that of the weathered man who he attempted so hard to emulate. If he could have he would have shouted "No" back at the voice but he had no such skill. Surprised, he allowed himself to relax and consider his options. Not all that good, he decided. Finally, he arose from his seat and plodded his way over to where the Innkeeper sat. He spoke haltingly and as polite as his rough nature would allow.

"Ma'm." She looked at him clearly and he faltered, feeling a bit embarrased. He cleared his throat and tried again. "Ma'm, I...am bored," he ended rather lamely. "I bet Awyrgan told you to keep me here and look after me but I don't think he meant for me to stay here forever. I would like to leave soon...." His voice trailed off into a mumble about trees and rivers, and he took a moment to recompose himself. "But if you tell me to remain here I will," he finished.