View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 11:36 AM   #26
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
What a load of moaners!

I think the Bakshi version was very well made, and dealt with the first book and a half in under 2 hours very well indeed.

At least he mentions the 17 year gap!

Jackson himself must have liked the film as he copied a number of things from it, including the shot of the ring bouncing down the rocks in Moria and the shot of Proudfoot sitting at the party with his legs on a chair. And, of course, a direct copy of the Nazgul in the hobbits' bedroom in Bree.

The ATMOSPHERE of the movie was great. This, to me, is an essential part of an adaptation. An example is the scene with Theoden and Aragorn before they ride out to face the orcs. The look on their faces when they realise they have met their doom is marvellous.

re cartoon Sam. I always saw Sam as a bit slow witted and backwards when I first read the books, and this is what makes him an even greater hero when you see him rise above this and become 'one of the greats' as Gandalf puts it. I believe the cartoon Sam is nearer to the book Sam than Sean Astin's. (though not exactly right either). And, no, I'm not dissing Mr Astin, I think his acting and portrayal in the films was excellent, just not quite 'my' Sam.

The music was good, especially the theme tune and the lament for Gandalf.

The only thing I had against it was working out who was Merry and who was Pippin!

And at least we had the immortal line "Fly, fly the enemy is upon us!"

And why on Earth take the mickey out of Aragorn's voice? That was John Hurt for pete's sake! A classic english actor, who could act most people 'off the stage'

The Gollum character was superbly thought out. Again, to me, I think this version of Gollum is nearer (character wise) to the book that Jackson's. And his voice was excellent too.

Give poor Bakshi a break. A job well done. I think I'll pop the dvd on tonight for another view. Thanks!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote