View Single Post
Old 12-03-2003, 01:41 AM   #112
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

By mute and mutual consent, Merisuwyniel and Pimpiowyn mounted their steeds and, with a glance back at the sluggish males of the Conglomerateship, rode off into the forest. Buttercup needed no urging to stay with them, and so it was that a bevy of beautifully-groomed females astonished the woodland creatures who saw them. (Even Falafel was looking her very best, since her Elven mistress had braided her mane elaborately, thus showing her delicately pointed ears off to great advantage. [Interestingly, the matter of pointed horse ears is considered canonical among scholars of Muddled-Mirth history, and there is little debate on precisely which leaf shape could be meant.] ) Even Tweedledee, though not female, was adorned with a yellow ribbon to match Pimpi’s festive mood.

Dark locks and golden of various hues waved in the wind, and whether it was because of some magical properties of the trees, or the whisperings of the Bow which Merisu felt without understanding them, they were not tangled in the close-growing branches. Singéd led the way, and if he had had time to think about it, he would have been astonished that the trees which had blocked his progress and sundered him from his master earlier now made a path for them to follow.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep…

The lines of a long-forgotten poem occurred to Merisu; she would have loved to have more time to explore the forest. But first there was a hapless, helpless hero to be saved. Soon her Elven eyes espied something bright lying in the grass near an ancient, gnarled and deceivingly decrepit looking tree. It was Orogarn’s sword!

She dismounted from her horse with a graceful leap and ran to the tree. But there was nothing to be seen, not even any tracks which they could have followed. Desperate, she sent a silent plea for help to the Bow. You once knew this forest well; can you tell me where to search for our friend?

This is Old Man Wilted, the Entish Bow answered. His heart is rotten, but his strength is green, and he hates all things that walk free upon the earth. He has captured the man and holds him tightly. We must hasten to make the tree release him. Alas, I have forgotten which word or song can master him. You shall have to attempt with whatever knowledge your Elven memory can find.

Merisuwyniel stood tall, raising the Bow high in a gesture of power, and called out, “Open Sesame!” Nothing happened, not even a rustling of the withered leaves.

“Mellon!” she shouted. Still nothing, though a slight shiver as if of mocking laughter rippled through the branches.

What is the word for ‘friend’ in Entish? she asked the Bow.

My dear, by the time you say ‘friend’ in Entish, the human will have died of old age if he does not suffocate first, the Bow answered.

The Elven maiden tried out several spells which she knew, all to no avail. [No, these cannot be repeated here – who knows how much havoc a mischievous person could wreak by misusing them?!]

She stepped back to think a moment and, since her mind was quick, of course, her face brightened seconds later when a brilliant idea came to her. She turned to Pimpiowyn.

“This is a chance for the young half-Halfling shieldmaiden to show her quality,” she spoke, as if uttering a prophecy. “Now is your big opportunity – let us see what power lies in you!”

[ 5:42 AM December 04, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'