View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #284
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Away - Wistan's Farm - Dunstede

Thornden looked slightly embarrassed as Wistan offered him some ale, pausing a moment as he put the note into his pouch. Finally, he shook his head. “I greatly appreciate your offer, sir,” he said, “but your good wife and daughter in laws have already served me quite well. I had at least two cups of tea, sir, not to mention the biscuits they continued to hand me. Thanks mightily. I can’t be staying longer. There are still many stops to be made before dark, you’ll understand.”

“Oh, yes, of course,” Wistan replied, nodding. “You had better be on your way, I guess. A good day to you, then, Thornden.”

“Thank you, sir. Thank you very much.” He bowed his head slightly as he stepped back and left the house. His horse stood waiting for him as he gathered the reins and mounted and then, without a look behind him, he road out towards the road again.

“Good heavens, Thornden, my lad,” he said to himself, glancing up at the sun. “You can’t be staying around people’s houses that long or else you’ll not get back until tomorrow, or else return without the full amount, and that wouldn’t be very good now, would it? They were friendly folk though, weren’t they? I hope they will come to the Mead Hall. They’d be a welcome addition to the regular company.” He grinned broadly at the thought.

“Cwen would then have quite a pick of young men for poor Rose,” he chuckled. “I wonder if she’s had much trouble lately? Probably not out here. The farm is so far from many people, and I think by now if any of the neighbors were acceptable they would have been decided upon. . .”

And so with such thoughts of his last visit running about in his head, he rode on, quite confident now that most of his visits would go well. If they didn’t . . .well, he wouldn’t mind, he was sure. He could handle it, even if they wanted to put up quite a bit of trouble, he was sure he could handle it.

“We can try, anyway,” he told Flithaf. “The worse that can happen is if an old house wife chases me off with a broom. I can always explain to Eodwine. . .”