View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #300
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Lys had spent his day in quiet rest, slowly wandering in and out of sleep, and in relative comfort. He had been provided with a warm and satisfying lunch after the healer Hrethel had left, and the occasional sharp pang of pain from his ankle or arm were his only complaints. He did not voice them, but lay quietly, listening to the bustle outside of the door.

It seemed to him that as the day wore on, a great excitement took the Hall. Many people rushed in, hushed and anxious voices too far away to tell the subject. Lys wondered if it was him they were speaking of, but shook it out of his mind.

'They would not worry so much about you' he chided himself inwardly. 'You're just a broken little boy. You aren't going anywhere for a while, so all debts will be paid...somehow...'

As the day wore steadily on, the movements in the Hall began to fade. Lys heard one particular clang, like tools being dropped hastily, but they were soon hushed. Lys looked slowly about his room, enjoying the last warmth of the afternoon. But in his mind, the young boy could not shake off his sore predicament. No home, no money, no memory.

This last fact caused him to grimace. He could have a family somewhere. They could be searching for him, worrying for his safety. Maybe others were looking for him, out to finsih the work they started. Lys shut his eyes, trying to clean such thoughts from his head, and reassure himself that he was safe.

It was then he heard slow footsteps enter the room. His head was turned from the figure, and slowly he looked over to see. Despite the warmth and comfort of the room, the young boy was quietly terrified. He imagined a dark figure with dagger in hand ready to still his small life. He looked up slowly, trying to mask his fear.

Lys' eyes softened as he saw the man looking over him. His look was warm and gentle. He stood and smiled almost nervously at the bandaged boy. In silence for a moment, Lys shifted a little and wondered what to say. 'This must be the man who owns this Hall.Lord Eodwine...' he thought.

"Well, lad, how do you feel?"

Lys looked a little startled when the man finally spoke. Pausing a moment, his mouth opened and about to speak, Lys pondered how he should word his thanks.

"I am doing much better Lord Eodwine, a--"

A hearty chuckle escaped the tall mans mouth before Lys could word his 'and I am very greateful'. Lys looked up at him with a puzzled expression.

"You give me a title higher than I have earned" he said, before taking a seat in his chair.

"My name is Thornden, and I am Steward to Lord Eodwine. But I am flattered you think me worthy of such a position!"

Lys smiled a little, and muttered an apology, slowly sinking into the mattress in embarassment. As he did, he noticed Thornden slowly look over his splinted arm.

"The Healer has done quite a good job. When I carried you in this morning, I knew not how bad your wounds were. I am glad you are recovering quickly, young...?" Thornden looked at him carefully, enquiring his name.

Lys almost did not know what to say. He had found his rescuer, to whom he owed a debt he could not fathom to repay.

"Lys." he said while smiling "My name is Lys, and I am truly very grateful to you, Thornden. Had you not found me, I do not know where I would have ended up..."

Thornden touched his shoulder comfortingly "No matter now, Lys. You shall be up in time, and I am sure your family will wish to know of you..."

Lys turned from him at the word 'family'. His state was always in the back of his mind, but bringing his loss of memory out into talk made him feel very small. Thornden's brow creased at his actions.

"I am deeply sorry, Lys. You have no family...?" he prodded gently. Lys did not blame him for his curiosity, but he did not wish to share his troubled.

"Better to say I have no memory of them. Or of anything before this morning." he said, quickly and bitterly, hoping the man would not ask him more. Thornden sat back, taking his hand off Lys' shoulder.

"That is quite a burden..." he managed to say at last. "But not one that you will have forever, I am sure. For now, it is best to rest and recover. I will help how I am able, to find what you've lost."

Lys looked up at the man, his bitterness fading, and a small pang of guilt for speaking so foolishly.

"I am sorry. I did not mean to speak in anger. I am most thankful for your help, Sir Thornden..."

Thornden laughed again. "No need for Sir's and Lord's on me, Lys. It is simply Thornden, and I am very glad to see you'll recover. For now, rest. I shall see you in the morning."

Lys smiled. "Thank you Thornden. Good Night."

Thornden then turned, and slowly eased the door closed, leaving Lys in the warm dark of his room. He fell again into sleep, smiling at the thought of his new found friend and rescuer.