View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #305
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden had less of a rude awakening that Eodwine. When he opened his eyes, the sunlight streamed in through the open window along with a gentle, cool wind, and a bird’s song. He yawned and stretched and sat up. The day promised to be good, at least in weather. As he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, he wondered briefly if the court that Eodwine had to attend would be quite as good. As he dressed, he went on thinking – considering everything else that would take place that day. The thirty days that Eodwine had spoken of at the beginning of his time was up this day. Thornden’s own place and immediate future would be decided upon sometime in the course of the day.

Once dressed, Thornden exited his room and made as straight a way to the make shift kitchen as he possibly could. He found Fordides alone there, bent over a great bowl of something. As he entered, she turned towards him. One arm was looped about the huge bowl, the other hand clutched at a wooden spoon as she stirred.

“Good morning, Fordides!” Thornden said, in his sweetest tone, slipping around the table. “How’re the rolls behaving this morning?”

“What’ve ye come here for, fellow?” Fordides asked, seeing past his disguise of friendliness and getting right to the point.

“Breakfast. Breakfast for two, actually.”

“Aye, aye, I could’ve told you that myself.” The woman nodded her head knowingly and put down the bowl, the spoon sticking up out of it. “You’ll be wanting it for yourself and that poor boy again.” She tsked briskly as she shook her head over two plates as she filled them. Thornden grinned and his hands went to his pockets. She turned towards him again, a plate in each hand. “Now, wait just a moment and I’ll get a tray. . .” That was done quickly and then she handed it to Thornden. “Now, take it and enjoy your breakfast.”

“Thank you much, fair maiden of the kitchen!” Thornden said, taking the tray gratefully. The wooden plates were piled high with eggs, sausage, bread, and cheese. He winked at her over the lovely meal she’d given him and then scurried quickly towards the door. She hitched up her shirts to her knees and aimed a kick after him, but he was already gone.

Thornden went quickly on through the hall and came to Lys’s room. He pushed the door open and entered without knocking. “You awake yet, Lys?” he asked as he entered, pushing the door closed again with his foot behind him. “I’ve brought breakfast again. A little early today, I know, I know, but I’ve got work to do today, I imagine.”

He placed the tray on the small table by the bed and dragged a chair closer. Sitting down, he clasped his hands between his knees and leaned forward to study Lys. The boy was hardly awake and he slowly pushed himself up as he yawned.

“How’s the arm today, lad?”