View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #313
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"My lord Eodwine, may I present Farahil of Dol Amroth, son of Lord Farlen and brother of our Lady Linduial?"

Was there a tremor in her voice? Farahil nodded and smiled to Saeryn, then bowed to Eodwine, stepping up to offer his hand in friendship. Eodwine kept his eyes on Farahil, but it was not difficult to shift his attention to Saeryn, who was watching the young man in a way that he must surely notice. It was annoying. Eodwine kept his face and forced smile to Farahil. He took Farahil's hand in his.

"Lord Eodwine," Farahil continued as Saeryn drew an audible breath (foolish girl, could she not control herself?) "my family offers its gratitude for the safe return of Lady Linduial. My father bids me to extend the hand of friendship between our houses forthwith as further thanks, with all such meaning as such an offer implies to be taken as truth."

Eodwine was the first to let go of the handshake, which was appropriate, Farahil being the guest. Much was indeed implied. Eodwine relaxed a little.

"It is a most generous gesture," he said, using Gondorian speech patterns he had learned in foreign courts. "I am honored. I accept your offer of frienship and return it in full measure."

Saeryn and this young man were of an age. Eodwine was not under any illusion regarding his own feelings. This young noblewoman of the Rohirrim drew his attention in many different ways. She was a beauty and a spirit both of gaiety and depth at once. Not unlike Kéðra. Who might still be alive. It was no business of his to stand between her and a man of her station and age, no matter how he felt. But that did not stop him from wanting to know how long this rival would be underfoot.

"How long will you be staying with us?"