View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Dilettante
Animated Skeleton

Dilettante has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
One can imagine the resentment built up by folly after folly the Noldor visited upon the Sindar by entangling them first in the hopeless war against Morgoth, the treachery of the kinslaying coming to light only after a natural alliance had formed in Beleriand between the Noldor and Sindar, and later the duping of a Feanorian AGAIN by Sauron leading to the Sindar once again [via lorien] being dragged into a Noldor-feuled war.
Sometimes I wonder why the Noldor are considered among the wisest of the Elves, because they can act so stupid most of the time.

The most enlightening thing for me was the fact that Galadriel and Celeborn did not perpetually live in Lothlorien. They moved around from Eriador to Lorien, to Beleriand and back again. Also the idea that they did not build Lorien (which I had assumed when I first read LOTR) but sort of took over it as stewards after the real king Amroth left.

What is most interesting is the ever-changing story of why Galadriel stayed in Middle-Earth, whether she did it of her own volition as she saw it was her duty, or that she was banned return by the Valar. It seems JRRT never quite made up his mind as to why she was still there in the Third Age. I rather like the idea that she was banned by the Valar and then gained redemption by refusing the Ring.

After reading about the closeness between the Noldor and the Dwarves, in contrast with the Dwarves sacking Doriath, I understand more the friendliness of Galadriel toward Gimli compared to the hostility of Celeborn.

It is interesting that Feanor asked Galadriel three times for one of her hairs, while Gimli asked once and she granted him three. Of course, all the reasons for each lie in the manner of the asking. Feanor asked in pride. Gimli's request was made in humility, for no other reason than the Lady of the Galadhrim was more fair than all the jewels of the earth. Which is high praise indeed coming from a Dwarf.