View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #77
Suldaledhel
Eru's Gift

Suldaledhel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Do my eyes deceive me? Talk about a blast from the past.

That's interesting about Dwarves in general being popular. What would be the cause, if that's the case?
Quote:
'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,' he used to say. 'You step onto the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.'
Turns out Bilbo was right.

As for Dwarves, I am tempted to note the stout fellows' surge in popularity amongst the video game community over the past several years, including the antics of a particular bunch of (immensely popular) video game commentators. However, I do not believe this to be the cause of the trend.

I do think a (statistically) significant measure of their uptick in recent years comes as a reaction inspired by the present social climate in many Western nations. However, this is certainly not the thread - or the forum - for such musings, and I hope our esteemed moderators will pardon this brief foray into the thickets of Off-Topic.

To return On-Topic, I think there's something to the phrase that all press is good press. In my humble, anecdotal experience, the movie has served to entice those with a fleeting interest in Fantasy to actually pick up the book, while those with no interest remain unaffected. For what it's worth, I've yet to hear of anyone refusing to read the book as a direct result of watching the film.
Suldaledhel is offline   Reply With Quote