View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
One thing I liked about the Lord of the Rings -movie trilogy and what continues to please me in these production videos is exactly the amount of information they give about various aspects of movie making, not only the basic "so here's the director, the producer and the actors talking nonsense about how this is a great film". At least to me, an 11-year-old little girl at the time, the features of the DVD-versions gave great aspirations about how I'd love to be an editor, or a digital shader, or a props maker, or a stunt - aspects of movie making you usually don't even acknowledge. And now logistics, catering etc - I think it's just fascinating.

I have to acknowledge that for me the PJ movies belong to a somewhat same love pile with the Tolkien's books - they both belong to a phase in my life when I needed them, they appeared to my life rather simultaneously, and I can't/don't want to really criticize them. I know that in that sense I will never be a true 'Downer :P It doesn't mean that they are in any way perfect versions of the books, far from that, but as a separate entity they are dear. And in that sense, just looking at these videos, particularly this one with all the Hobbiton scenes, makes me feel like going home, if you know what I mean. Going home, or meeting an old friend, or something. With the music, the landscapes, the amazing props etc.

And with the ending - I don't have my books with me right now, but could the first movie end with the eviction of Sauron from Dol Guldur? With the dvarves' storyline ending to the barrels. That would be somewhat more dramatic than a pile of dizzy dvarves and one wet hobbit.