View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I wish Jackson et al were excluded tbh. I'd like to see Del Toro given a free hand to give the movie its own look & feel. There's little point in 'more of the same' as far as I can see. I haven't seen the stage show, but have seen pictures & it has a much more interesting look than the movies. Costume design in particular seems far & away superior to what we saw in the movie - particularly the Elves. The worst case scenario, as far as I'm concerned, is to have a director who is constrained by the look & feel of the Jackson movies - & I'd feel the same if I'd liked them.

The overall mood of a Hobbit movie should be far more 'Fairytale' - which would allow the talking animals & the songs, etc to work. To try & force TH to fit with the LotR movies in terms of style & mood will mean excluding so much of the spirit of the book that they may as well not bother. The Hobbit is a wonderful work in its own right, & shouldn't be put in the service of another work. If there's to be a 'model' for a Hobbit movie it should be The Wizard of Oz meets Pan's Labyrinth, not Jackson's LotR.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote