View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #12
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I am starting to ramble so I will stop here, but I wonder what others think of the spared evildoer theme.
There's actually one other "spared wrongdoer" example right here in this chapter: Frodo and Sam! Technically speaking, as we learned in the previous chapter, they are trespassers in Gondor and ought under the law to be brought to Denethor. Faramir passes judgement on them also, and by putting him under his protection "and under the shield of Gondor" (a fantastic line), he is creating another example of at least bending the law from a rigid application--imagine what Boromir would have done as Captain in Ithilien if he found Frodo, Sam, and Gollum wandering alone there!

(Mind you, if their places were reversed, it seems likely enough that Faramir would have explicitly been their guide post-Parth Galen, and had they come to Ithilien and met Boromir, it would have been quite a different encounter... but maybe not for the best in the end. Who would have guided Frodo over the Ephel Duáth? Would Boromir, either getting the truth from Faramir OR meeting secrecy from his brother, have let them continue on?)