Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq12
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 05:11 AM   #8
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
thoughts on these scenes....

I think what pj is doing here is that we need to show Aragorn's love for Arwen, and his desire to see her safe. Eoywn is a distraction (as she is in the books) - but Aragorn's love for Arwen culminates in the final push that forces him down the paths of the dead - PJ gives him a real reason to take this path other than a note from Elrond advising him to go this way. If he doesn't help Frodo by fighting Sauron's forces then Arwen will die. I didn't like this linkage of Arwen to the Ring, but I can see PJ's reasoning behind it. Once Arwen gave up her immortality and decided to stay with Aragorn, then she was technically 'dying' at this point. As we all know, Life is a terminal illness........

Anyway, back to the scene - is it just me or does PJ intentionally make Theoden seem unsteady on his horse whilst Aragorn glides along, looking much more kingly than the 'real' King of Rohan. Or was it that 'gissa job' couldn't control his horse very well?

I don't tink Aragorn is dreaming in the scenes with Arwen, just thinking back to his discussions before he left Rivendell. Doesn't Arwen look alien / ethereal in the kisssing scenes with Aragorn? She really looks 'other worldly' in the first flashback scene - and looks totally different in the later scene as she stops aragorn given back the Evenstar.......

did you notice the look on eoywn's face as she learns aragorn's missus is leaving middle-earth? a look of satisfaction for a fraction of a second before the shieldmaiden hides her thoughts from aragorn and looks away.....

I also love the scene with the stew - i don't know why, but I do. I like the fact that it gives pj the chance to explain Aragorn's long life and that he's a Dúnedain.....

the gimli scene (and the stew scene) shows that the scriptwriters haven't just read LOTR but have dipped into the appendicies and other material......
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote