View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #472
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Raefindan and company

Raefindan had asked Ravion to lead them, being a ranger and healthy and unwounded. Gwyllion was strapped to Gond, led Raefindan. Aeron, his foot injured, sat atop Gond, holding Gwyllion in place. Erundil walked behind Ravion, and in front of Raefindan.

They walked for hours and did not stop for lunch. They could sense that they were almost out of the swamp, and were eager to be out of the clutches of the swamp elf. Maybe, maybe, Mellonin would be returned to them once they were beyond the swamp. Raefindan hoped so, but doubt ate at him.

As the sun set, the last of the swamps fell into the distance behind them. Solid, grassy land surrounded them. Raefindan called a halt and they ate, then the dressings were changed on Erundil's hand and Aeron's foot.

"Now that we are beyond the swamp, we should set up a watch again," Raefindan said. I will take the first watch of two hours. Aeron, take the second, Ravion the third, and Erundil the fourth. Then we should rise for the new day."

"Will the swamp elf return Mellonin if one of us is awake?" Ravion asked.

Raefindan frowned. "You raise a good point, Ravion. I do not know. What do you think?"

"I think that we are still under the elf's watchful eye, and our lives are both safe and forfeit at once, depending on his will."

"I do not like it, but I think you are right. No watch tonight, then."

They settled down for the night, for they were weary from a long walk. They took special care with Gwyllion, who had begun to moan in her sleep. Aeron declared that she must be waking up; but it was not so: after watching her with care for a half hour, she showed no sign of waking.

They retired for the night, Aeron staying close to Gwyllion; Jorje sleeping next to Raefindan.