View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 01:29 AM   #18
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

ok, once again I stayed up late watching LotR, so this post will not contain as much as I wish I could put. Anyways, another character I think has psychological depth is Eowyn. She grew up as a woman in a man's world, and I'm sure that must have been very hard. She was cold, and I'm sure didn't show much feeling. When Aragorn came along, she saw him, the ice started melting a bit, and she started caring for him. She really wasn't in love with him, though. I think it was more like how fangirls say they're in love with the actors. They aren't really, they just love their image. She loved Aragorn's image. Then he didn't return the love, she felt he pitied her, and she started freezing up again. Then there's her going off to fight, helping slay the WK, and having to be healed. She ends up falling in love with Faramir, and the ice in her heart finally melts. I think there is a lot of depth to her if you read between the lines, and look at her actions, and determine how she must have felt. She isn't one diminsional at all, and has a lot of depth. I really think the amount of depth one gets from the books all depends on how much of it the reader is able to percieve. How much they pay attention to the book, observe the actions of the characters and how they fit in with their surroundings, and how much the reader enjoys the book. I know from experience that if someone is reading a book that they don't like very well, the person will most likely just skim over it enough to get a basic idea of what's going on. He will not get deeply involved with the story, hang on every line, and drink it all in. He would be bound to miss quite a bit. Well, that's all my tired brain can conjure up right now.
Arwen