View Single Post
Old 12-26-2002, 05:14 PM   #494
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami scampered about the galley, digging into pantries and bins to see if there was anything that they could salvage for the evening meal. She found a jar with dried mushrooms hidden near the back of the larder, a second with root vegetables, and a large barrel overflowing with freshly caught fish. She stared at the fish and sighed.

For a moment, her thoughts turned back with longing to those foods she'd known and loved as a child in the Shire--hot tea with honey, pots of steaming black coffee, cold chicken and pickles served on a sideboard, and fried fish with chips. The food brought memories of parties and shared suppers and teas where friends and family had gathered.

No chance for most of that now. The tea and coffee were long gone, as was the honey. Many of these foodstuffs would not likely be available where she was going. But, whatever Pio suggested, she sternly vowed not to settle for another bowl of fish stew for her last real night on the Star. Perhaps a fine mess of root vegetables with mushrooms. Just no more stewed fish!

Cami continued rummaging about in the recesses of the larder when she turned to Pio and announced with delight, "Look what I've found." There were several pails left aside, apparently destined for the garbage detail, that had somehow been missed.

Two days ago, before they slipped passed Minas Anor for the last time, a hunting party had gone ashore, and brought back a fresh kill of venison. They'd made short order of that rare treat, but someone had rendered the fat from the buck and left it sitting in these pails.

"Fried fish, it is!" Cami proclaimed triumphantly, grabbing her pans and stoking the fire to heat up the lard until it bubbled.

Pio smiled at the sight of her friend scurrying about the kitchen, as if that were her only concern in the world. They chatted together about this and that, and then the Elf asked if Cami knew where the hobbits would be going.

The woman shrugged, "We'll see. North, I'm sure. But that's all I really know. Gandalf said there'd be folk waiting on the river bank to help us with the last leg of the journey. Today, I had the elders come to my cabin, and discuss our different choices, and we promised the three clans would stay together, at least for now."

Cami glanced over towards Pio, "You know I shall miss you, and everyone on the Star. I have said this once, but I'll say it again. I owe you and Mithadan and Bird a debt that can't be repaid. I would stuff you all into my satchel and take you along if I could."

Cami stared determinedly out the small porthole. "It's so hard. So many roads, and so many choices. Just when you find friends, something happens in life and sends you careening in another direction, down a fork you hadn't even known about before. Only I am sure this is the right fork for me."

"But there's one other thing I wanted to say. I told Bird earlier. Wherever the hobbits go, I intend to keep a sharp eye open for shapechangers, If I discover anything, anything at all that might help your search, I'll figure out a way to get the clues back to you. So don't forget to look, after you get home."

Within a short space of time, the two women finished their cooking preparations and had the evening meal laid out on long tables that were covered with clean white cloths. Soon the others made their way down to the galley, both for food and a final evening of companionship.

It was a cheery time, with ample dishes and talking and singing. There was even a story or two to be told. Several of the hobbits pulled out their flutes, and one had a very old fiddle, passed down from father to son. They cleared away the tables to dance, and passed their last evening on the Star in pleasantries and friendship, then split up early to retire to their beds in preparation for the morning.

At the very end of the night, when most had returned to their cabins, Cami went above to whisper her goodbyes to the ship, just as she'd bid farewell to the hidden isle of Meneltarma. I shall never forget you, or the folk you brought to me. I cannot be a sailor or one who dwells in the water like the hobbrim or Levanto, but you have taught me why others love the Sea so fiercely and give their hearts to Ulmo. Goodbye, bright Star. My own path lies with the green fields and the forests, but I shall not forget the music of the waves. That, and my feelings for my friends, will stay forever sealed in my heart.

[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]