View Single Post
Old 12-29-2002, 10:29 PM   #503
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Both Legalos and Radagast agreed to Cami's request to meet with the Elders to review the route chosen for the northward trek. Once again, Piosenniel's large map was taken from the case, laid out on the ground, and carefully studied. Legalos outlined the pathway with his finger, starting at the base of the Falls, skirting west about Emyn Muil, and cutting north to the eastern boundary of the Hidden Lands where the Lady of Lorien dwelled. At this point he halted, reminding the Elders of the need to respect the sanctity of that golden realm and the Elf Queen of ancient lore who ruled over those woods.

When Andril heard this reference to ancient lore, her eyes gleemed curiously bright. She glanced directly at Cami who nodded for her to continue.

"Pardon, Legolas," Andril interrupted, "But does this Lady of Lorien go by any other name?"

"Some call her the White Lady," Legalos replied. "Others, the Mistress of Magic; but the name she is best known by is that of Galadriel."

A smile of recognition splashed across Andril's face. She responded with quiet assurance. "Legalos, you need not worry about the hobbits' passage through these lands. This Lady of whom you speak is known to us of old. Our own lore tells of her grace; her ability to run through the hills like a hart, swift and straight; and her friendship with the hobbits who first came to her notice through her brother Finrod."

With a bittersweet pang, Cami recalled the words of Andreth's journal, which had been discovered in the walls of the encampment at Ladros, and the ancient stories that she'd heard from Maura. Both spoke of the coming of the little folk into Beleriand, and their friendship with the House of Beor and with Finrod and his kin, as well as how the three peoples fought together in the battle against the darkness.

Andril continued addressing Legalos, but was careful to catch the eye of Gamba who sat by his brother's knee. "The hobbits will indeed respect the realm of this Lady, for she has meant much to us. I do not know, but it may even be that she will remember us with affection."

Legalos was surprised to hear this and glanced towards Cami who nodded her head to confirm what Andril was saying. Legalos went on to trace the remainder of the route. Then, at Radagast's suggestion, the Elves and hobbits agreed to begin their journey northward early the next morning.

As the Elders dispersed to their clans, Cami pulled Andril aside to speak with her. "Thank you for that," she confided to the hobbrim. "I am never sure how much to say. But I think your words will make it easier for us, both with the Elves on the trail, and in encouraging the younger hobbits to behave."

"I am placing Gamba in charge of the littlest ones on the trail. It should give him something worthwhile to do to take his mind off of mischief, as well as keeping him from falling into despair. I'm actually more worried about Gamba missing his brother than running off on any adventure, but this should help with both."

Andril looked over at Cami. "And I promise to keep an eye on Phura, especially in the days and months to come. It won't be easy for either of them. But, Cami, there's something else. Something else that's bothering you."

"You know me too well. When I first met Pio and Mithadan back in Minas Anor, my only wish was to uncover a little piece of hobbit history. At least I know that exists, but so much of it has been swept away. Part of me understands this must be. The clans will have plenty to do, simply learning to survive, without worrying about poems and lore. And it's the only way the hobbits can possibly stay hidden."

"Yet another part of me grieves. Finrod, and Galadriel and Idril, and especially Piosenniel....who among our people will recall what the Elves did, their bright gifts and their sacrifices? Which hobbit will remember Men like Beor or Mithadan, or a small shapechanger who offered us friendship? And none will speak the name of Maura, or sing the songs of Lindo. All that will be gone."

"Cami, stop worrying about the past. The hobbrim won't forget. But the rest, those things that bind our families and help them make their own small goodness in a world filled with shadow, that task we leave to you."

Andril looked at her and smiled, "Who knows? Perhaps at the end of time, our two kin will come together somehow. Then we will offer you the lore we've carefully tended, and you will show us that hobbit hearts still hold those ideas and ways that matter."

"You make it sound so simple," Cami whispered, her voice heavy with longing.

"Not simple, but there's enough to keep us both busy for a lifetime. What more could a person want?"

"Only one thing," replied Cami, smiling sadly, "that we should not have to leave so many good friends behind."

"For that I have no answer." The two women softly embraced.

[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]