View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 02:24 PM   #216
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
A familiar face made its way up the dusty hill leading to the White Horse.

Dark hair framed a solemn and content face as Aylwen Dreamsong walked slowly towards the entrance of the Inn she had been working at for nearly fifteen years. Her deep hazel-green eyes beamed and danced like the light that quietly bounded from the sun and off down through the trees to the luscious green grass. Her set jaw and stubborn chin had softened since she had left her job for a short time, her face shone with newfound knowledge. The weather was far too nice out for a cloak or cover, and Aylwen felt comfort and resolute in the lovely sun.

Stepping lightly up to the door that she knew so well, Aylwen smiled and walked through the open doorway of the White Horse. She felt comforted at the sight of the Innkeeper’s desk. Continuing quietly past the kitchen, Aylwen entered the Mead Hall. Her smile did not fade even as she ignored all other patrons for a moment and went towards a contemplating Bethberry with Osric and his young nephew. Seeing that her companion was deep in conversation, Aylwen’s smile faltered just a bit, weakening slightly as she met Bethberry’s eyes for just a moment and nodded, wordlessly promising to speak with her later.

Aylwen went back to the front of the Inn, opening the door to the office that Bethberry still often used and Aylwen rarely entered. Aylwen sat her traveling things down in the room, and picked up a small book from the desk. Leaving the office and stepping out to her desk, Aylwen sat and opened the book to a page empty of writing.

‘As I return to where I belong, I reflect on what I have learned from my journey away from the Inn and to another destination. At this destination, I thought that I had seen things I would never see again, and if I did ever see it again I thought that it could never hold as much beauty and wonder as it had upon first arrival.

Returning home brought new meaning. While I found a different way of life waiting beyond the home I have known for nigh on fifteen years, I realized that I missed the Inn, or, my home, rather sorely. I began to wonder what I had found so wondrous about my journey’s destination. It was somewhere new that I had never been to, surely. Then I wondered why this enticing new world was interrupted by nostalgia and dreams of home. I learned that captivation and wonder at my own life only comes when I am willing to open my eyes. I can make a life at my fourteen-year home just as exciting as somewhere I have never been before, if I try.

My only regret is that I did not learn this simple lesson sooner.’

As she finished the entry, Aylwen smiled once more and went off in search of Bethberry again.