View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
No, no, we must differentiate here.

Eating weird mushrooms and licking paper soaked in LSD is NOT the same as Elves passing by.
Now of course we all sometimes want to be in a fairytale place, and of course we wish we were floating around with dragons etc. but things don't happen like this in the Seventh Age of M-e.

However, back in the Third Age things were different. Firstly, it is important to realise that for the Hobbits the encounter with the Elves was literally otherworldly, they had never seen Elves before, and all these things seemed to be an otherworldly experience, but in the end Elves were a reality of the world and although due to their powers and knowledge they seemed magical they were in the end fairly normal and ordinary. For the Elves all that they were doing was normal, even Galadriel is a bit surprised to hear the word magic used to describe the Mirror I believe.

So, I'd conclude that whatever the Elves were doing it was by no means anything psychedelic for them only relatively perceived as such by the Hobbits.

Furthermore, in these experiences people want to do it, they voluntarily put themselves through a certain process to experience a new state. Elves just were that way, so what should they be doing in that respect?
Also, I am not entirely sure, but as far as I know the Professor was not a big fan of experimental drugs. Firstly, his Catholic upbringing would surely make him an opponent and secondly I believe I read somewhere that he disliked hippies and such, who were at that time some of those experimenters.

The topic seems interesting and I have no doubt that a nice discussion will emerge of this.