View Single Post
Old 04-01-2004, 10:09 AM   #218
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Aman

Aman watched, arms crossed forebodingly, as Snaveling rose unsteadily and stumbled from his chair, knocking it over and colliding with that elf, Galadel, as he did so. Aman's anger rose slightly even more. So he would even assault the other customers in my Inn directly! she thought furiously. But Galadel did not seem to mind - she actually took his arm as he slipped, steadying him as he found his feet. As he began to weave erratically towards her, Snaveling's eyes met the Innkeeper's, and she raised her chin to face him. Although she would not to admit it, there was something about this creeping, skulking dark man that scared her...

"Aman...Am...Aman..." Snaveling seemed to be having difficuly speaking as he came to face her, and the Innkeeper realised it was not only the drink which was causing problems, and although his eyes darted away from hers, she could see something else there behind the drink. Turning, she relayed her orders like a general.

"Buttercup, please could you fetch this man a glass of water and bring it to us in my parlour. Let you three servers take charge of the festivities." She turned to the rest of the Common Room at large and smiled. "In the spirit of the party, all drinks from now on shall be on the house! May the food and drink flow freely!"

If there is one thing that makes people, especially the good folk of the Shire, forget their misgivings faster than anything else, it is free food. Good natured murmuring resumed around the room as people turned back to their conversations and there was a sudden rush towards a surprised-looking Ruby behind the bar. Her voice covered by to all others by the amiable chatter, Aman spoke softly to the drunken, sorry-looking individual in front of her. "Snaveling, I wish to have a word with you in which I think you must make a few...decisions."

The man gave his familiar sneer and pulled his arm from Aman's grasp, turning away, but he stopped halfway as if a memory made suddenly tangible held him back. He sagged slightly and turned back. "Lead on, Mistress Rohan," he said, but the spite in the words was too half-hearted for Aman to take any offence. Galadel moved forward to come as well, but Aman shook her head. Usually she wouldn't be as naive to go into a room alone with a drunken man, but Snaveling seemed suddenly limp and half hearted. "Mistress Galadel, I need to speak alone with him for a few moments."

The elf held Aman's gaze with her wise, ancient one, then nodded. Aman smiled, inclining her head, then turned to lead Snaveling to her private parlour. Opening the door to him, Aman followed, then shut the door, shutting out the noise of the busy Inn at the same time. Turning to Snaveling, who had a look in his eyes like a trapped rat, she motioned for him to sit down and seated herself in one of the two armchairs by the fire and began.

"Snaveling, since you came to the Inn I must admit I have had a few doubts. At the very beginning there was some strange news that you tried to trap a woman inside the cellar when the Inn was on fire, which would have been something very like murder. But," she held up a hand as he started to rise angrily then continued. "But I have never really been one to believe gossip. However, will you deny that it was you knocked over the wine?"

A sullen shake of the head.

"And you did it deliberately?"

The man hesitated, then nodded. Aman was slightly surprised - she had not expected him to admit it, and it changed her opinion of him very slightly. When she had seen the shattered wine bottles and their spilt contents, the Innkeeper had had every intention of banning the man from the Green Dragon for the rest of eternity. This coming forward and now admitting his crime made things rather more complicated and spoke of something other than common roguery. She sighed and sat back, looking up at him.

"Snaveling, I have never yet banned anyone from this Inn, but the unpleasantness you showed by that action..." she paused, contemplating him, then sat forward. "Here is the deal, sir. Much as you may think it, I do not hate you - I don't know you, and unfortunately for you, all I have really seen of you first hand is what you did this afternoon. But I know that you worked on the rebuilding of the Inn, and by coming forward, you have showed some further merit and I shall reward it; I will not ban you from the Green Dragon and neither will I take from you your lodgings here. However, payment must be given - can you pay in money for what you...destroyed?" She eyed the bottle of brandy the man still gripped as she said the last word, then moved her green eyes up to meet his dark gaze.