View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #202
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rowenna

Rowenna could feel herself coloring at Nydfara's first reply. He had grinned his reply, but the bite of his words had hit home nonetheless. Had she said anything about his motives other than to ask the innocent question? She had been careful in her wording, and quickly sifted her own question over again to see if there had been anything in it that had caused such an accusing reply. She decided that he had read more into her words than she had placed. She did not answer, choosing to give him time to fill the silence with more if he would; and did.

Rowenna listened intently to his words. Not wholly a stranger. Dwelt here for a time. Sorn was bad or mad. Rowenna noticed that Nydfara looked away while saying he did not know this Sorn; was this a lie? All, including Nydfara, hated him. Rowenna's mind flitted to the leader of the brigands whom she had hated while she behaved as his lover, confidant, and advisor, and wondered if Nydfara had had a similar role with Sorn. The more Nydfara said of the man, the more likely it seemed to Rowenna that he had known him better than he let on. And now he confessed that it was from hatred for Sorn that he worked on the ruin to wipe out the madman's memory.

“So does my tale pass your muster, my lady?” he asked with mock deference. “Or shall I spin a new one to match the suspicion that I am naught more than a scoundrel?”

There was indeed suspicion, but it was in secret. She had eavesdropped on Eodwine speaking with Thornden more than once during he past month, and had overheard Eodwine outline his concerns about Nydfara, that he did not take lightly that this man had been spying on them until Dan had found him and brought him in. That he had saved Dan's life was to his credit, but it did not erase his suspicions, for there had been something in his reply, that he was a wanderer unaware of recent news and unaware of the Eorl's arrival to the area, and that he did not know that the armed man who called after him was more than a brigand, seemed too convenient somehow. This had only served to heighten Rowenna's interest.

"Who suspects that?" Rowenna asked. "No one has used such words about you in my hearing."

~*~

Harreld

“How long do you think it will be before you can do it, Harreld?” Saeryn asked.

"One week," he said. "A sword takes more care than a ladel." He grinned. "How do you like Scarburg, Lady Saeryn?"

~*~

Eodwine

“How long will you be gone?” Thornden asked. “You speak as though you thought you would be away from some time."

"It will take a day to get there, at least a day to be there, and another to return. Three to five days, I wager."

Just then Crabannan came up with a rather lordly young man in tow. "Lord," he said, "this is Degas of the Folde. He wishes to speak to you."

Eodwine recognized him immediately and smiled. "Degas! It is good to see you! Have you found your sister yet? She is here."

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-09-2008 at 01:23 PM.