View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #36
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
And is there a problem with extreme points of view?
Not at all!!! As long as we know they are extreme (wow, I believe I just summed up very nicely a large part of my overall worldview).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniğilpathânezel View Post
Much better, I think, to endlessly speculate, and agree that there is no one answer, because the only source who could have provided one is no longer with us, and did not leave that desired answer behind.
I would say it this way: I think the most important thing is the dialogue (said Socrates ), it is not about convincing others that your view is the only right one, but the outcome of debating the stuff and not just dropping it is that we may learn something (and besides that, also that we communicate with each other). It may be that something will be answered (like that someone comes and says "oh, I found that in Letter 1201 Tolkien indeed states that Balrogs don't have wings at all, only no one has noticed that this far"), and something not, but we are going to gain something by discussing it instead of simply dropping it away as unanswerable at the very beginning.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote