View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 04:01 AM   #11
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
For myself, I think Tolkien's long poetic versions were to be part of Bilbo's three volume Translations from the Elvish, or at least The Children of Hurin and Beren and Luthien poems, two different kinds of poetry.
This actually makes a lot of sense, because Bilbo, much like Tolkien, was a poet. They both resort to poetry at the drop of a hat, so if you gave Bilbo a choice between translating the Quenta Silmarillion or the Lay of Leithian, there's no way he'd even hesitate in choosing the latter.

This also helps explain the sheer size of the Translations: Leithian would have come to at least 6000 lines in its later, expanded form (probably much more); at 30 lines to the page that's a good 200 pages right there, whereas the Quenta version of the story probably wouldn't pass 20.

A wonderful companion to Arda Reconstructed would be an in-universe book on what exactly made up the Red Book, but I'm not sure it could ever account for the fact that The Hobbit + LotR made up only 1/4 of the original length...

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote