View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #653
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Ravion

Ravion followed Erundil as he hacked through the winter's dead branches and brush with his sword, cutting a path for them. "Do you see anything?" the older Ranger asked quietly, and the chilly wind almost carried away his voice.

"I see nothing," Ravion said dully, wrapping his cloak around him. "And night is falling fast. The young women could be anywhere; would that someone had seen them leave!"

"If someone had seen them leave, we would not be here at all," Erundil replied curtly. "And if all had gone as I would have preferred, looking back on things, I probably never would have come to tell you about the blacksmith. So we cannot all have our ideal circumstances."

Ravion stopped short. "Are you blaming me?" he asked.

"What?" Erundil had not heard him over the wind, which had picked up. It bit through Ravion's cloak, but he hardly noticed.

"I said, are you blaming me for all of this?" Ravion kept pace with Erundil, glaring at him. Erundil stopped for a moment, then sighed and continued on.

"We can argue after we find the ladies," Erundil said wearily. Ravion opened his mouth to let out a retort, but closed it. Erundil was right: the important thing was finding their missing companions.

"Bellyn?" Ravion called. "Argeleafa?"

Erundil joined in his cry. "Bellyn! Leafa! Are you there?"

"Bell--" Ravion began, but Erundil clapped a hand over his mouth. Ravion frowned, confused, and Erundil lowered his hand, motioning for him to be quiet.

"Do you hear it?" Erundil said quietly. Ravion shook his head and squinted. "On the wind. Voices."

Ravion nodded slowly. "I hear it."

"Can you track it?"

Ravion nodded again, shrugging his pack back onto his shoulder. "Follow me." He took off at a run, Erundil following him closely.

The girls' voices were becoming more and more clear through the wind, and Ravion knew that he was going the right way. Perhaps finding Bella and Leafa would be, in some way, a balance for his earlier failures.

"Bellyn?" he called. "Leafa!"

The voices stopped, and Ravion kept coming, Erundil right behind him. "It is Ravion! Can you hear me?"

Last edited by Orual; 02-23-2005 at 05:09 PM.