View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #154
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
How about-- at that point-- Bergil, sensing some sort of doom on his own part, gallops off to find his commander, and gets permission to join the quest, and comes galloping back? Trying to think like a soldier here-- wouldn't want him accused of desertion, you know.
The thing about being a Ranger (this is my reading here, not official in any sense) is that if Bergil is on his own at the time of finding Eledhwen, then he's probably got a certain amount of discretion with regards to where and how he fulfills he duty to protect the realm.

The way I've taken to picturing the Rangers (particularly those of Arnor, but I think applicable to those of Gondor as well) is that they are essentially independent agents, until and unless they should be called up.

Alternatively, if one sees the Rangers as being a bit more of a "company", then the issue is easily sidestepped by Bergil being on leave at the time of finding Eledhwen (possibly making his way to family in Lossarnach at the time? We know Bergil's grandfather dwelt there), and upon being embroiled in these great matters, he sends off a letter to his superiors informing them of what he's up to (so as not to expect him back soon). I'm sure a Ranger would have enough leeway that his normal patrol could be swiftly reassigned when he didn't show up after leave, and as the son of Beregond, Captain of the White Guard, and personal friend of Prince Faramir, I think Bergil would be able to pull a few strings, even if the hierarchy were inclined to be disapproving.