Thread: Your Grķma
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Grima is described as "wizened" so he is either old or has an illness or is simply what they used to call a 'weakling'. Given what we know of Rohan, men who were tall and strong were obviously valued as the 'ideal' so any man who did not fit that bill would have to find some other way of getting ahead than hunting and fighting. Grima must have found his way by becoming an advisor to the King. I also like to think that he was easily corrupted by Saruman because he had high ambitions for himself - Saruman gave him the ability and skill to twist the King's mind so adeptly, and this must have been something Grima saw as a way to advance himself.

I don't see him as 'old' in age, merely in appearance - and I think his lack of good looks was also a way for Saruman to tempt him with promises of having Eowyn for a wife, as there had to be some reason why she would not consider her Uncle's trusted advisor a decent match. She actively finds him repulsive so there must have been something unfortunate about his appearance - and note that even Saruman seems to taunt him about this fact.

There's something quite sad about him in a way, in that he felt the need to submit himself to such treachery as his only way of 'getting on'.