View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #262
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine

Eodwine worked the brush over the flanks of his mount.

She had actually kissed him! Yes, it was only a quick peck on the cheek, but if there was one thing Eodwine understood about women, it was that they were at least as territorial as men. No, they didn't mark their land with fences; instead, they marked off men they claimed with their own kinds of marks. Rowenna had kissed him in front of others, and thereby was making a claim that he himself was in her territory and no one else's. Lithor and Saeryn were the two who had seen Rowenna's claim in action, and Eodwine was quite sure that it mattered not in the least to Lithor.

As it always was with Eodwine, when Saeryn was near, he was aware of her presence, and very aware that she had not helped Rowenna pull him along to the horses. He had glanced back at her once, and her eyes positively flashed with indignation: 'how dare you let her kiss you! how dare you let her talk to you that way! how dare you let her have your horse! how dare you let her drag you around like that! how dare you let her take the place I used to have with you!'' Were all those messages in that one flash of a glance?

And now Saeryn had interrupted his troublesome thoughts with an offer which spoke of a familiarity which had not seemed to be there at all until these last few moments. So maybe it was as Degas said: the old Saeryn was back, and that would be something that Rowenna would not like at all, to be sure! He was not entirely sure what he thought of it either. He did not like the thought of being a prize two women tore each other apart over. So he was not keen on answering her simple offer, since it was most definitely only going to make things worse. Well, better to cut open the wound before the infection spread. He continued to rub down the horse he would ride for the race.

"I would run the three-legged race with you, Saeryn, except that Rowenna already asked me."