View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #243
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rowenna

"Yes, please show me."

Léof led her down the aisle and pointed out the two Scarburg horses. She could see from where she stood that, whereas they were strong and good beasts in their own right, they would not be of much use in a race. Léof was telling her their names and their virtues, and she was nodding her head, glancing around. And so she saw a beautiful chestnut stallion with strong legs and hocks; and it was looking at her. She could tell at once that this one had spirit.

"Who's mount is he?" Rowenna pointed.

"That is Flíthaf, the steed of Lord Eodwine." Léof identified him in a tone that suggested that it was a foregone conclusion that she could not ride him in a horse race. Rowenna had different ideas.

"I'll go talk to him," she said, giving Flíthaf a pat on his strong thigh on her way out. She did not see Léof's expression, so did not know whether he viewed her with scorn, surprise, or something esle.

It did not take long to find Eodwine; he was still in the kitchen area, looking on as others chose which games they would play. She walked up to him.

"Will you run the three legged race with me?" she grinned.

His brows rose. Then a smile began to grow on his face. "I suppose that could be fun," he allowed.

"Good!" She clapped her hands and jumped up and down as if the matter had been settled. Then she folded her hands and swayed from side to side, looking up at him from pleading eyes. "There is one other favor I would ask, though I know it is much to ask."

"Oh? What would that be?"

"May I ride Flíthaf in the races?"

One brow rose higher and the other lowered in Eodwine's surprise. "But then what steed would I ride?"

She had thought of this and had prepared a ready answer while she walked over. "If there is more than one heat, we could ride him in separate heats; surely I will not win my heat, and at least will have gotten the chance to ride a race."

"I - I suppose that could work, though only if Flíthaf is willing."

"Oh good good good!" Rowenna clapped her hands again, grinning brightly. She flitted away back toward the stables and threw over her shoulder, "I'll go tell Léof!"

Eodwine watched her go, rather stunned. What had happened to the girl? For girl she seemed right now, more than woman, and more fetching than ever in a silly way. All in all, he could imagine himself enjoying such moods in a wife.

"Young lass has got the Eorl wrapped around her finger today, he?" cried Lithor with a big grin on his face. Eodwine scowled. He would have to watch himself around her, he realized.