View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #274
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Lithor

After leaving the stables he made his way across the Scar to the racing track. Crabannan was already waiting with his sorry excuse of a horse, Lithor didn't think the poor broken beast had a chance of winning against any real horse. Traveller stood unsaddled and alone, where was Erbrand? The two soldiers, Aethelstan and Matrim, stood patiently on the side.

Lithor lifted his hunting horn to his lips and gave two short blasts, signifying that the beginning was soon at hand. People poured across the Scar from the camp, Eodwine, Javan, Leof, Erbrand and Degas were among them, with Eodwine riding Flithaf.

“What’s this?” Lithor said chuckling to himself, “Has Rowenna given you back what is yours, or has my horse proved too spirited for you?”

“No, Lithor, Rowenna gave Flithaf back to me of her own free will.”

“Than I assume that she won’t be racing today.”

“No she won’t,” responded Eodwine, looking back towards camp with a troubled expression, “and I’m afraid that Saeryn won’t be joining us either.”

“Saeryn, not racing?” Lithor replied shocked, “thank you my lord, I will not press you any for further information.” Eodwine gave him a thankful smile and joined the racers.

The contestants were now all lined up and the watchers were scattered gathered on the Scar, which provided an excellent view. Lithor walked up and down the line of horses trying to even them up, which proved to be a difficult job. Many of the horses fidgeted and stepped out of place, unlike the dormant horse of Crabannan, who looked like it was sleeping. For the most part the riders kept the horses at an even line and didn’t try to inch their horses ahead to get a head-start.

Another blast from Lithor’s horn brought a silence over the land. There was no need for a speech this time, just a statement of the rules.

“Riders,” said Lithor in a raised voice for the audience to hear, “the rules of the game are simple. Ride out to that red flag you see there,” he pointed to the flag a good ways off, “circle around that and ride back to this spot; the first rider across this line wins. Make this a fair and clean race and may the best man win.”

He stepped aside and raised his horn, “the race will begin on the third sounding of the horn!”

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 09-12-2008 at 03:14 PM.