Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq06
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
I find it very interesting the way that gollum acts like a dog and is treated in some ways like a dog in these scenes.
Nice observation, and maybe that was the way Andy Serkis saw and so played the role.

Quote:
the only time I ever feel remorse for gollum is in these scenes where frodo pushes him away, and we have the shocked, sad look on his face. marvelous 'acting' here.
Even though it's a CG overlay, still the emotions come through. It's like Gollum finally finds a friend, after all of those lonely years, and gets slapped by the same. Like in the Hobbit, does Smeagol remember the fresh air of companionship and warms to it, while the psychotic side gets pushed down awhile?

Quote:
the dead marshes are one of the scenes where the film has pushed it's way into my head taking over from the book. in other words, I could have SWORN frodo falls into the water in the marshes in the book, but on my last reading it's not there! much like Gandalf stating a wizard is never late, etc. I just KNEW this was stated in the book when I watched the film, but lo and behold it's not anywhere in tolkien's works......!
How do you feel about this change/addition by PJ? I see how it helps show the change in relationships between these three hobbits, as for once it's not Sam saving Frodo.

Quote:
and the overhead shot of the marshes you mention alatar, I've only just now on this viewing seen the hobbits trudging through it in the distance! amazing what you don't pick up after numerous viewings....
It's a cool shot, and even if it's 100% CG, I still like it as you 'see' what Frodo, Sam and Gollum are dealing with - this is no puddle.

Quote:
the short scene with gandalf and the balrog works well. I reckon the balrog was dead before his body smote the mountainside, Alatar.....
I know. My point is that is this how you saw Roggie die? It gets stabbed in the heart (couldn't we have done that in Moria?) and falls, then is dead. I'm not exactly sure what I wanted, but I wanted a little more.

Quote:
and the acting from ian mckellen as he returns from the dead - great - very much like a person recovering after a heart attack or a near drowning. the sudden intake of breath and realisation you are alive!
Agreed. Great mini-scene and great acting. I think that even those unfamiliar with the story could easily see what happened.