View Single Post
Old 10-23-2002, 09:44 PM   #268
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami had just turned to make her way out of the tombs, when she heard the quiet footsteps of hobbits leaving the meeting, one-by-one. Then she saw Rose and Mithadan walking together. The Man's eyes looked tired and haunted. Cami wondered what else Rose had said to him, but decided it was better if she didn't know.

She turned to the Man and smiled, "Please give Pio a hug when you see her. I'll be fine. Rose told you we're both staying the night of the rescue?"

The Man looked at her intently, "If you feel it's that important, then you need to stay. And, Cami," his voice hesitated, "if it's any help, I'm as haunted as you are wondering if I've made the right choice. I don't know. I'm only doing what I feel I must, what is right and honorable. In that respect, we are alike."

She nodded her head in agreement.

As they walked along the passage, Gamba joined their small group. They soon came to the chamber where they had found the Man before the meeting.

HELEN'S POST:

Once again, Mithadan paused by Elros' marble tomb, and knelt.

Gamba approached Nitir, and tossed out a question as if he was flinging a challenge at her-- the Loremistress. Would she be like all the rest?

"What is he doing that? Worship?"

"No, " Nitir answered. "Deference and respect. Elros is his ancestor, but more than that, Elros was a good and wise king. Mithadan strives to be as much like him, and like the other noble Numenoreans of old, as possible."

Gamba blinked.

No riddle? No question, no mystery, no long convoluted chain of barely connected facts leading absolutely nowhere?

Just an answer.

In three brief sentences, she had taught him to love this man, this Mithadan. He reviewed the statements about him: deference and respect for a good and wise king, with the hope that he, too, could be good and wise.

Mithadan stood and moved on, and Nitir followed him. But Gamba stood rooted, thinking. The candles faded as Gamba struggled with his sudden, newfound love for a man he did not know, and realised that it had been gifted to him by a lady that he did not know. How did they do that?

How did she do that?

Phura came back around the corner. "Aren't you coming?"

Shaking himself back into motion, Gamba followed his brother out.