View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 09:02 AM   #276
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan swam slowly back to the waiting Numenorean vessel. Reaching it, he knocked on the hull to give warning of his presence, then clambered up to the deck. Piosenniel stood waiting for him.

"Is all well?" she asked. "Have the Elders approved of our plans?"

"Yes," he replied. "They have. And I have spoken with their captains about preparations and tactics. They are eager to make this attempt. I will wear red scarves about my neck and arms so they will not mistake me for a guard and slit my throat as well."

"Well," laughed Piosenniel. "That at least is good planning."

"Pio," he said. "It is as I feared. There are Faithful imprisoned here as well. But the Hobbits do not know how to reach them. It may be that they must die."

"I know," replied the Elf. "I have seen them." And, as Mithadan's eyes widened, she recounted her discovery of the door within the guard's alcove and Bird's message concerning the prisoners.

"You are a marvel," he cried. "Maybe they can be saved as well!"

"Maybe," mused Piosenniel as she brought up the anchor. "But the risk is increased if we do so. And what of Idril's warnings against attempting to change what cannot be altered? Consider this choice carefully, Mithadan."

"I have," he responded.