View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #343
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Two things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short View Post
Therefore, though not more knowledgable, still more objective, still can trust.
Unless his incarnation of OG in game is anything like the Opera Ghost of the books! All I'm saying is we shouldn't trust that just because he's not a critic means he has the best interest of anybody but himself in mind. The Phantom of the literature really loved slipping nooses, 'Punjab lassos,' around the necks of anybody who caught sight of him. So maybe he's the mild mannered incarnation of the romantic music lover of the deep who Andrew Lloyd Webber gave some bone-chilling solos to, or maybe our resident Undead is a bit closer to the character I fell hard for, who was sold to a freak show as a child and whose closest 'friend' was one of the two women in his life who ever pitied him, and I'll hint for you: one wasn't his mother.

From Wiki, about Erik in the novel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
In Gaston Leroux's novel, the Phantom (named Erik) traveled throughout the world after running away from home at a young age. During his travels he visited India where he learned to kill people using the Punjab lasso. According to Erik's old friend, the daroga, the Punjab lasso that Erik wields is "curiously made from catgut" (from the Leonard Wolf translation) and only by placing your hand at the level of your eyes (thus stopping the lasso from closing completely and strangling the victim) can one escape it. This is attributed to Erik's skill at strangling.

When the daroga brought Erik to Persia, he used his skills at using the lasso in his new job as the Shah's personal assassin, a job he excelled at due to his lack of scruples. He also used it to entertain the Sultana.

When Erik moved to France he kept a Punjab lasso in the torture chamber he built. Thus, the victims of the chamber would have the option of ending their lives rather than endure its tortures.

When the sceneshifter, Joseph Buquet, found the entrance to Erik's 'house' in the third cellar of the opera house, he fell into the chamber and used the lasso to kill himself.

Later when the daroga and the Vicomte de Chagny went in search of Christine Daae, whom Erik had kidnapped, they found a used Punjab lasso lying on the ground leading into the Phantom's chamber. Later in their journey to rescue Christine they fell into the torture chamber, where the daroga contemplated using the lasso to end his life as the tortures got worse.

So while we're of course free to assume that Mith would never, ever play games with us wherein she gives the phantom an alter ego known for having no scruples and being an exceptionally brilliant and unrepentant serial killer, I think it's foolish to ignore the literature unless she tells us point blank that the phantom (person, not character) is on the side of the ordos.

Quote:
Also, Wild Man think Moddess not make Gollum gifted/critic, therefore innocent.
A note on this: I asked Mith pre-game and she told me the roles would be randomized.