View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 05:33 PM   #32
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

This is one thing I thought of that speaks against Arkenstone=Silmaril. The hallowing of Varda:

Quote:
And Varda hallowed the Silmarils, so that thereafter no mortal flesh, nor hands unclean, nor anything of evil might touch them, but it was scorched and withered; and Mandos foretold that the fates of Arda, earth, sea, and air, lay locked within them.
Now in Beren and Luthien's tale, it is specifically said that the Silmaril didn't burn him:
Quote:
As he closed it in his hand, the radience welled through his living flesh, and his hand became as a shining lamp; but the jewel suffered his touch and hurt him not.
Nowhere in the Hobbit is it mentioned that the Arkenstone was hot, that it burned any of the Mortals who touched it (Bilbo, Thorin, the dwarves who buried Thorin). If it was a Silmaril it surely would have burned, wouldn't it? Something like a hallowing by Varda doesn't wear off.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote