View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #13
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Certain people or people using certain items can see into the spirit world. These would be those with "eyes to see." Gandalf would be one of them. The Nazgul too, as they could see Frodo more clearly when he wore the ring. I'd guess Glorfindel might as well.
Interesting point, but it doesn't explain why Sam can see the light as well. I think Frodo's visibility to the wraiths is different from the radiance Sam and Gandalf see, although it's possible the wraiths see his visibility as a kind of radiance too. Perhaps they are seeing the same thing, but it manifests itself differently to servants of the Enemy or friends of/people who know and understand the Ringbearer? I think the radiance Sam and Gandalf see is more like the radiance of the Elves, and that they see it because they perceive his purity/nobility (hence the "eyes to see that can.") Faramir doesn't specifically refer to a light or radiance, but maybe he perceives something similar when he says "There is something strange about you, Frodo: an elvish air, perhaps."