View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 09:03 PM   #132
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Turthôl wearily entered Tharbad. He had been tracking the enemy for almost six days. It had been almost a week since he had left Rangar and the rest. He felt guilty for leaving but he knew that he had to do this. He had found nothing except footprints. The enemy obviously suspected he was being tracked, and despite the Dúnedain's skills, he was unable to catch up.

He had lost the trail when he entered the town. He knew it was vain now to try. He headed for the nearest inn, to catch up on some sleep and to see if the company was here.

As he entered the small inn, he noticed that it was busy for such a small place. It was packed with people who were geared for long travel. Pipeweed smoke hung heavily in the air, and the Ranger coughed. He wasn't a smoking man.

He approached the bar to have a word with the innkeeper. He glanced around to see if there was anyone that he recognized there, but no; the company had not arrived.

"Can I help you sir?" the innkeeper asked.

"Are you the master of this inn?" Turthôl asked.

"Aye, yes I am. Lombardo's the name. What can I get ya?" the man asked cheerily.

"Some answer's first. Has a company of elves and men passed through? There would be some women also." he asked.

"There have been many companies traveling through on account that they are heading on to Lond Daer down south along the Greyflood. They be a comin' from places like Fornost, Archet, and Bree, and other towns from the Shire. But elves, you say? Nay, I haven't seen any of those folk here." Lombardo replied.

"Why are all these people going to Lond Daer? I bet it's for the solstice festival," Turthôl asked.

"Aye, you must be familiar with these parts. I'm as busy as a hive, but one of my workers have abandoned me. That no account rascal! Well, sir, what can I get ya?"

"Well, you have any rooms left?" Turthôl asked.

"No sir. I'm sorry but we're fully booked for the moment. You look tired. Are you on the way to the festival?" Lombardo asked.

"No, I'm traveling..."he stopped. Should he say why he was traveling? And with Rangar? "...alone. I'm heading south towards Rohan. But I plan on staying a few days to rest up." Turthôl prepared to leave to find a place to stay. "Sorry to bother you sir. I'll be on my way. Do you happen to know of any other places I may find a room?"

"Well, hold on just minute. You look like a noble fellow. I don't know why, but I feel like I can trust ya. I have a proposition. Are you in need of some wages?" Lombardo said.

Turthôl thought a moment. Some cash wouldn't hurt.

"Sure. What can I do for you?" Turthôl asked.

"Well, since I'm shorthanded, would you mind filling in as a worker? I'll pay ya full wages and let you sleep in the kitchen. It's nice and warm there. That way, you have a place to stay and some money, and I'll have a worker. You can stay as long as ya like."

"You have yourself a deal," Turthôl said.

He had been in Tharbad for three days. He had enjoyed waiting tables and serving food. He had a place to stay and some money.

"Hello, waiter! More ale!" some man yelled.

Turthôl took the mugs and refilled them. As he approached the table, he heard, "...he was a dark fellow. Came from the Downs about 4 days ago. Said something about tracking some murderer."

Turthôl's ears picked up. Came from the Downs? 4 days ago? He saw the table next to those men was now empty of guests and he began wiping it, slowly so as to hear the conversation.

"...never take up with a fellow like that. Its bad luck!"

"What was this man like, anyhow?"

"I dunno. Brown hair, little on the short side but not too short. Looked as if he had been traveling a long way. I asked him, "And who is this murderer?" He says to me, "A man named Rangar" . I says to him, "Oh, and who has this man been murderin'?" But then he says all mean-like,"This man murdered my brother. Have you seen a company of men, women, and elves pass through?" I says, "no but there's been a lot of folk come through here." He was kind of drunk but he wouldn't say no more, and I wouldn't ask 'em. He seemed dangerous..."

That was enough. His journey wasn't fruitless after all. Now all he had to do was wait for the others.