View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 01:07 AM   #147
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Rave had kept mostly to herself for a long time. "for the best" she thought as she was not in favour of upsetting either of the elves. The shieldmaiden had ridden with the Gondor Noblewoman until she had gotten a horse of her own. It had been interesting talk with Wren, and Gondor seemed magnificent, and after all it would be nice to see Wren's mansion as she had not seen anything as wondrous compared with her own moderate but humble upbringing.

She was very inquisitive with the elves, not so much as Bregand though. She always watched Calimir and Énien when they sang, told stories or even conversed in elvish. Their language was amazing. Rave thought them beautiful and somehow beyond the measure of men., but none the less agreeable.

Turthôl and Rangar on the other hand were rough well travelled men, who knew how to protect themselves, after all they were rangers. Though she enjoyed their company immensely they entertained Rave somewhat. But them again, every time they were nice, there seemed a darker, colder side in the both of them.

Tareth had told her stories of being a blacksmith in Bree and of what he said, Rave supposed that he was a good one. Aerin was a girl from a small village as well, though like Rave she kept to herself. Bregand and Carmalita were becoming good friends also. Carmalita had spoken with Rave a lot over late nights around the fire and Rave had learned of her daughter Crystal. Rave couldn’t help thinking what a brave woman she must be.

Now Rave rode beside Énien, to an untrained eye, both would have looked like two girls out riding, Rave with her Blonde hair and youthful appearance atop of a fine horse and Énien, bright eyes behind brown tresses on a black horse which looked more like that of a ringwraith than the harmless creature he was. “Énien, it’s very strange you know, you never told me what you were doing in Bree.” Rave saw the elf frown. “All because of a star my friend. Passing through I was on my way home to Imladris, when I stopped in Bree and heard Rangar was going to Harad. There is a seer there, I need answers for a question.” Énien answered staring straight ahead.

“I suspect that Bregand has a thing for Carmalita.” Rave began changing the subject in a whisper. “He loves her.” Énien said with a small laugh. “how do you know?” asked an opened eyed Rave. “Is the same look an elf once gave me. His name was Elvethion, he was from Lothlorien, this was a long time ago mind you, when my brother was still alive and my parents were this side of the ocean. I was 671 years old, and Elvethion was quite a bit older than I was, as old as I am now. My father thought I was too young, and he was right. Eventually Elvethion passed to the heavens. You remember don’t you Calimir? Back in the good old days!” Énien laughed.

“Only 671?” Rave asked with some degree of sarcasm that Énien failed to notice, but as every time, Énien never noticed sarcasm. “Yes” she answered “A long time ago. A long time before you were born even, well none of you were born, nor your parents or their parents parents.” Énien nodded. “Its amazing you know, Énien, that you are so old but you look no older than me, in fact id go as far as saying, you look younger.” Rave said giving her horse his head and taking her hands of the reigns. “And it depresses me somewhat that I will be an old woman one day and you will still look the same as you do now!” Rave laughed. “Yes, but that also means that I must see you die and your grave cover with moss as your children grow and die as well. “ Rave became quiet at this. “Do not be so sad to think Ravenne. I will not actually be here to see you die, I don’t think. Perhaps I will stay here as long as I can to see all of you to your graves and then pass, or I will go to the heavens as soon as I return to Imladris, I have not made up my mind.” The elf still riding, but sensing the silence began to sing in elvish verse.

~My lord, Éomer~