View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 05:48 AM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Again this is another sequence I have mixed feelings about.

The Council of Elrond I thought was well cut down by Jackson. I'm not saying all that back-story, the dwarves tale, Legolas' tale of Gollum, Gandalf catching everyone up on Saruman, wasn't important in the books, but in the movie what this Council was called for was to discuss what the heck was to do with the Ring. So, Jackson cuts right to chase and eliminates the backstory, and for the film, I see this as perfectly logical and actually a good thing to do. We saw what happened between Gandalf and Saruman already, and there's not point in going into the other back stories. So, for the actual information we are given, this part of the Council was done well.

Some other good points is the archetypes that are created here, the whole archetypal "journey to discovery" are established here early at the Council. We see that Dwarves and Elves aren't on the best terms, and Gimli's little squabble with Legolas. We see the confrontation between Boromir and Aragorn..."Gondor has no King. Gondor needs no King." And finally, Aragorn's reluctancy in claiming the throne of Gondor. As Legolas goes on about him being the heir, I took Aragorn's "Sit down" as in he's hesitating on his decision and as of right now does not want to be the King. As the Fellowship progresses this "journey to discovery" starts taking place, as all these fellows relationships and feelings begin to change.

I get mixed feelings because (especially in TTT EE) it just seems like Elrond sends out a mass middle-earth telegram to everyone saying "Hey the Ring's in Rivendell, come and join in the discussion." I don't like this representation of what the Council was, and what the Council should have been. I think it should have been dealt in the same fashion, all these races have met together by chance just when the Ring arrived to Rivendell. It just seems to me that Elrond sent out telegrams to everyone to come and talk about the Ring.

The other thing is it's just a minor little quibble, and really doesn't effect how good, or bad the movie is, but I would have appreciated this scene a lot better. Ok, we have all these random people here, that play no further part in the movie, we have no idea where in the heck they are from, we don't even know who they are. What's their purpose? Seat fillers? It doesn't make sense to me. Also, of ALL the dwarves that Jackson threw into the Council, not one of them was credited as Gloin. This is minor, and doesn't get me fuming, but as a book-reader, it would have really made me appreciate this scene a lot better, seeing that Gloin is put into the Council (as he should have been) and not a bunch of random dwarves.

Just some other notes. I couldn't have put it out better myself alatar, as far as the scene between Bilbo and Frodo. Ian Holm does this perfectly, the tone of his voice and the way he speaks is just perfect for this part "I...sho-uld very much like...to hold it again...(quieter) one last time." As far as I know there's no "lunge" or "achhh" by Bilbo in the books, I think Frodo just says he "sees something in Bilbo's face," however I thought this was a nice little thing to tweek. Perhaps Bilbo is like the Gollum of the rest of the movies? Even though if he's lost the ring (well in Bilbo's case he willingly gave it up) he still desires it and that desire for the Ring will never be over until the Ring is destroyed.
Quote:
But why, as Strider is in self-imposed exile, there are no other Rangers as far as we know, and no one protects the Shire.
While we have no knowledge of this (as movie-goers), prior knowledge from reading the books, and the Dunedain protecting the Shire...I think in the movies we do catch a hint that Gondor isn't the only one holding off Mordor...when Boromir says "...kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people, our your lands kept safe." Aragorn kind of squirms in his chair and rolls his eyes. I took this as a hint that Gondor isn't the only one, but that was because I had former knowledge of the Dunedain before watching the movie, I don't know if non-book readers would have caught this hint.

I do agree in that Sean Bean's performance (as well as I think Ian Mckellan again) was great in this scene. Bean definitely delivers a powerful performance when he gets up and starts talking. I just love the way he delivers his lines, especially when we get to Lothlorien, but I'll save that for another discussion.

Quote:
Anyway. I see no duplicity, no “I’ll hang around for my chance to grab the Ring.” This honorable man accepts his duty, live or die. To me Boromir is much more heroic than Aragorn here.
I thought that too, until I saw TTT EE. I think TTT EE did a lot of good for what TTT regular version...messed up...but when we get to TTT EE, I think the little "talk" between Boromir and his dad contradicts and ruins Boromir's purpose for joining the Fellowship.

Also, one last thing is we see the heroism of Frodo yet again, and this is maybe one of the last times we see it. (Excluding when he decides to leave at the end of the movie). FOTR I thought did a good job of portraying Frodo's strength and heroism, when we progress it just seems like he's weak, can't do anything for himself, and Sam does everything for him. But, everyone starts bickering, arguing, tensions and angry words are rising, over what to do with the Ring and Frodo steps up to take it upon himself..."I will take it." The first time he says it, he seems intimidated. It's quiet, he's the only Hobbit amongst all these bigger, stronger people, then his voice rises above all the rest, and he strongly says..."I will take it." I love the queiting down, and Frodo whispering..."though I do not know the way." And then we get the Fellowship made. Anyway, I like Elijah Wood's and Frodo's portrayal in this part. What I find funny is that when all the arguing is going on, Elrond is just sitting in his chair having another migraine attack. I just kind of chuckle, it's his own Council and he's lost total control of it.