View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
I can completely vouch for this statement. It is indeed a lot harder to act emotionaly, whether it be crying or just a very sad scene. It's really hard to cry because (take this from a Drama minor) you have to cry in between the word in order to make yourself audible. Of course, that can be fixed in a movie unlike in theater. Acting asd is actuallynot as difficult, but it can be hard to keep a straight face. How many times do you think they've had to redo a very emotional scene in any movie?
But as they are professionals, isn't that their job?

Quote:
I must also agree with her statement on that crying during a movie is seen as weakness. Now, I have a little question. Who cried during Titanic? Would you consider that weakness? If not, then why during any other movie would you consider it weakness? It really angers me when people say "Oh your such a wimp for crying during the Lord of the Rings!" There is no difference between crying in Titanic which is based on a real story and things did actuallly happen and crying in Lord of the Rings, which is an entirely fictional series, because people died.
The only reason that I cried during Titanic was that the movie seemingly would never end . Please, James, sink the boat so that I can go home! Anyway, what I liked in FotR was that Aragorn could cry - Frodo's not as masculine, and so he's more likely too. Here's a real tough guy, a virtual killing machine in the Hollywood stereotype, yet he still can shed tears (or at least well up) for his fallen brother. That to me was cool.

Quote:
Now I kind of went of track there, so to get back on... I must say that the comic relief moments they have in the books aren't needed such as the TT moment just before the battle. "Would you like me to describe it to you or would you like me to get a box?" I mean, come on. That's just insulting the Dwarf and we all know what happens when you anger a Dwarf. That was the cheesiest comic relief moment I've ever heard. There are also other such moments that weren't needed. It's those times when I wish PJ would have stuck with what was written in the book.
I actually liked that bit of humor. You're facing an overwhelming force, and things may go bad, and so you joke a bit to ease your anxiety. I would prefer more moments like this (if I had to get so many humor moments) than the dreaded 'dwarven drinking scene.'

Last edited by alatar; 01-27-2006 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Wrong director
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote