View Single Post
Old 08-04-2002, 03:41 PM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Bluntly:

Noble Elves should call me higher. They should be better than me. They should whisper to me of What Can Be if real holiness pervades my life. I think that's why I find Thranduil slightly annoying in The Hobbit-- his faults are a little too visible. (But then, he'd never been to Valinor, had he? But still.)

Gandalf may have a short temper-- his most notable fault!-- and little patience, but there is no doubting his nobility.

Aragorn-- noble to a fault. The man does not know how to lie. He would choke if he tried. Same with most of Faramir's men, it would seem.

The good guys can have some faults-- Gandalf's temper and short patience, Thranduil's odd behavor in The Hobbit. (Does Aragorn have any tangible faults? Mebbe not?)

The bad guys should have the real vices. And we should see that those vices are Ugly and Bad. But good guys are supposed to be-- well-- GOOD.

Point being that if you are going to give me details, give me details that point to virtue, goodness, holiness, supernatural beauty-that-is-goodness. Therein lies the wonder-- I think it is the same thing as holiness-- but it has to be GOOD. Holy. Beautiful. Otherwise it doesn't call us higher, and no wonder.

--Helen

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]