View Single Post
Old 08-07-2002, 11:36 AM   #30
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know I'm late in this thread, and I apologize. Good discussion, lmp. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I believe the "right" details are the ones that allow the reader's mind to imagine and move freely in his or her own thoughts. For example, Tolkien did it correctly because he never specifically described Frodo. I'm not saying you shouldn't describe things, but you should keep it somewhat ambiguous. As Jessica Jade says, "One of the greatest things in Tolkien is vague ambiguity." The character that you know, love, and admire (Frodo) is left to your own thoughts and descriptions.

The overkill of details ruins the story. As Estelyn says, Tolkien did it right because he used one word to describe something when many more could be used. Rowling did it right because she did it simply. She made the characters slightly complex, but the descriptions of the objects were not too lengthy. Personally I think the characterization should be complex, but the descriptions and objects simple. As for dialogue, don't make it too boring. Make it relevant to the plot. I'm sure you can write a very good conversation, but it must relate to the story, or else there's really no point in having it there. It can be symbolism too, just don't make it completely irrelevant that the reader is left scratching his/her head trying to figure it out. If you want to have symbolism there must always be a surface meaning and a deeper meaning. Of course, you all knew that already, and this in itself is irrelevant to the post.

I'm sorry I can't say more, but I'm not yet experienced in eloquence to really express it. When the school year starts maybe I will be. (I'm joining mock trial which is pretty much equivalent to debate team.)

Bye for now,
Ginger
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote