View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 09:25 PM   #481
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami looked at the boy in surprise. He'd never said that before. She thought about the road they'd travelled, and some of her anger melted away. But their journey wasn't done. In fact, it was barely beginning. Unless they learned to talk to each other, really talk, they'd never make it down the road.

"I know Gamba, I know." She wrapped her arms about the boy, trying to reassure him.

How gracefully Mithadan had spoken to Gamba. He seemed to understand just what to say. What a great father the twins were going to have!

If only she had someone like that, a man whom Gamba could trust and see as a model. What kind of a model could she possibly make for a young male hobbit? She felt woefully incompetent, unable to influence what he did or felt. Rose had been impulsive, but not like this.

If Maura was here, maybe he'd know what to do. Then, she wouldn't be blundering along, making mistake after mistake. Everything she tried seemed to backfire, ending up with an even bigger mess.

Cami's eyes filled with tears as she stepped back and turned to look him in the eye. "I know you didn't mean to hurt me. But something is wrong. First sneaking Kesha aboard, and now this."

"Why can't you trust me? I'm not trying to make you miserable. Why can't you just come to me and talk?"

He evaded her eyes and looked away.

"I'm not one of the guards in the Tombs. I can't force you to do anything, even if I wanted to. And I don't want to. Mostly, you're going to make your own choices. And I'd like to be part of those choices, but you have to let me in because you want me."

"And sometimes, I am going to give you an order, even if you don't like it, especially if I feel you're doing something that could hurt someone, either yourself or somebody else."

"Just think a minute. What if someone had found out about the hobbits, and tried to prevent us from sailing north because of your visit to the Inn? How would you have felt?"

Gamba squirmed uncomfortably, and shook his head, "Not very good." Then he started to walk away.

Cami reached over and pulled him back. "No, running away doesn't solve anything. I'm an expert on that."

"Gamba, having you call me mother is one of the most miraculous things that's ever happened to me, but I can't be your mother unless you really let me, no matter what we call each other. First, you have to trust me enough not to challenge everything I do or say. And second, you have to let me into your heart, into the place where Phura and Esta are. There's no other way. If you can't do those things, then we can't build a family, and maybe we shouldn't even try."

Cami turned to Gamba with a pounding heart waiting for his answer.

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]