View Single Post
Old 12-19-2002, 03:32 PM   #483
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It was just the hour before dawn. The fat, full moon, wisps of clouds surrounding it, was sinking below the White City like a shadow wraith. Pio stood at the helm deck railing and watched Isil’s downward course, then turned to look eastward where the sun would soon appear above the Ephel Dúath. She shuddered, thinking how in times to come these mountains, the fence of Mordor would house all sorts of shadow creatures.

‘Are you cold?’ he asked, coming silently to stand beside her. Mithadan raised his arm and drew her close against him, beneath the shelter of his cloak.

She moved against his warmth, and smiled at him. ‘Not cold. Just thinking of all the darkness those mountains will ring from the eyes of those yet to come in Minas Anor.' They stood for a while looking east, in companionable silence, until Anar had thrown her first rays into the sky. She laughed as the light lit up some small clouds scudding along the rim of the mountains. ‘Yet still there will be light, will there not, and hope.’

She placed her hand over his on the rail. ‘Our task is almost done, Mithadan.’ She smiled, thinking of it. ‘And I was just thinking about something . . .’ she continued. Mithadan looked askance at her, his eyebrows raised. ‘Nothing of great concern!’ she laughed, ‘Or anything that will impede the completion of this task which now draws near.’ He relaxed against her, the brief glimmer of doubt now gone from his eyes.

‘A question first.’ she began. ‘When do you expect we shall have the provisioned ships ready for the transfer of the Hobbits? How long do you think it will take for us to get them to Rauros and see them safely off? I would very much like to pilot one of them also, if possible. Being busy will keep me from any more trouble on the Star.’ Pio shook her head at the ups and downs of these last few days.

‘Once we are done with the ships of Gondor,’ she went on, ‘what shall we do with them then? Could we possibly take two of them with us, when we leave to return to our Age? Bird could have one for her use, if she so wished it. And if not, then we could use both of them to let out for hire, while we kept the Star. Would that be a possibility . . .?’

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]